PHM-Exch> [PHM News]: WHO Executive Board (EB134) in Jan 2014 considering gender based violence (Item 8.4)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Dec 15 03:43:21 PST 2013

From: PHM's WHO Watch

The global challenge of violence, in particular against women and girls,
will be considered by the WHO Executive Board (EB) in January 2014 and
again in May 2014 at the WHA.

PHM’s WHO Watch project will be at the EB and the WHA and we are presently
preparing comments to be shared with delegates before and during the
meetings.  We would be most grateful for your advice.

A number of member states have requested this item be considered. The
Secretariat highlights “the crucial role of national ministries of health
and the public health community in advocating, inspiring, and guiding
multisectoral action to prevent violence and mitigate its consequences at
global and national levels; and the repeated calls for the elimination of
violence against women” and undertakes to summarise current action and
future needs.

The Secretariat report
(EB134/21<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB134/B134_21-en.pdf>)
has now been posted. It starts with an overview of the problem, refers to
the evidence base, and summarises previous WHO and UN declarations and
commitments. It provides a brief reference to multisectoral action and then
elaborates in more detail on the role of the health sector.  No mention of
war.

PHM is keen to hear from PHM activists and friends who are working in
(familiar with) the gender based (and other forms of violence including
political violence) from the PHM perspective. We are keen to hear  your
assessment of the WHO document and suggestions about how it might be
improved and how WHO could be more effective in this area.

If you are involved in lobbying your country’s delegates about these issues
we would be keen to hear your line of argument.

Please respond to: pgs-watch at phmovement.org.

Warmest greetings

WHO Watch