PHM-Exch> [PHM News]: WHO Executive Board (EB134) in Jan 2014 considering Pesticide Management (Item 8.5)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Dec 15 03:45:18 PST 2013

From: PHM's WHO Watch

The International Code of Conduct on Pesticide
Management<http://www.fao.org/agriculture/crops/thematic-sitemap/theme/pests/code/en/>
will
be considered by the WHO Executive Board (EB) in January 2014 and again in
May 2014 at the WHA as Agenda item 8.5 supported by document
EB134/22<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB134/B134_22-en.pdf>.

The Secretariat notes that this item is included on the EB agenda “at the
request of the Director-General of FAO, and in order to complete the
process for issuance of the joint report by FAO, WHO and UNEP”.

PHM’s WHO Watch project will be at the EB and the WHA and we are presently
preparing comments to be shared with delegates before and during the
meetings.  We would be grateful for your advice.

The Secretariat report
(EB134/22<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB134/B134_22-en.pdf>)
is very brief.  The full text of the code is available at
International Code<http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/agphome/documents/Pests_Pesticides/Code/Code2013.pdf>(unfortunately
only in English).

PHM is keen to hear from PHM activists and friends who are familiar with
pesticide management issues from a PHM perspective. We are keen to hear
your comment on the code and suggestions about how WHO could be more
effective in this area.

If you are involved in lobbying your country’s delegates about these issues
we would be keen to hear your line of argument.

Please respond to: sdh-watch at phmovement.org.

Warmest greetings

WHO Watch