PHA-Exch> Eliminating World Poverty: Building Our Common Future

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Apr 8 00:36:16 PDT 2009

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC) ruglucia at paho.org

 *Eliminating World Poverty: Building Our Common Future*

* *

*The Department for International Development (DFID), 2009***

Available online as PDF file [32p.] at:
http://www.dfid.gov.uk/securingourcommonfuture/conference-paper-eliminating-poverty.pdf

*This background paper for the DFID annual conference "Securing our Common
Future: A Conference on the Future of International Development" (9-10 March
2009, London)*

“….According to the paper, the current global recession seriously threatens
the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals, and may push more than
90 million people into poverty. Times are uncertain, because the scale of
the downturn is not yet known, and the impact could be even more serious.
Combined with other huge challenges already happening, or on the horizon,
including the demands of a growing population and the onset of climate
change, this is an important moment to reaffirm our commitment to
international development and to review priorities….”

Part one briefly reviews recent progress in developing countries. Part two
sets out the emerging challenges, both immediate and longer term. Part three
sets out a series of questions for consideration in priority policy areas in
response to the emerging challenges….”

*Table of Contents*

*Executive Summary *

*Introduction *

*Part One: Recent Progress in Developing Countries *

*Part Two: The Challenges *

Food and Fuel Crises

Financial and Economic Crises

Poverty in Fragile and Conflict Affected Countries

Population and Urbanisation

Managing Climate and Resource Stress

The Challenge to Globalisation

Ensuring an International System Fit for Purpose

*Part Three: The Response *

Managing the Crisis and Re-establishing Growth

Fragile and Conflict Affected Countries

Climate Change

Ensuring System Wide Effectiveness

Overcoming Food Insecurity