PHA-Exchange> Fw:

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Mon Oct 11 02:13:13 PDT 2004

From: <prem_john at vsnl.net>

 Dear all.
With others, I was part of the International Organising Committee that met
in Cuenca, Ecuador.

> As you hav eread. plans for PHA 2 are going on full speed and in my
opinion, having been very closely associated with organising PHA 1, the
Ecuadorians are at least 150% ahead of PHA 1 at a comparable point in time.

> Arturo has done a wonderful job of creating a team of dedicated people who
are totally committed to PHA 2. Most are volunteers but put in more than a
day's work every day. They are creative, hard working and most of all
extremely nice people.

> Efficient teams covering all aspects of PHA 2 arrangement are in place and
I am amazed (and humbled) by the easy, laid back and completely
participatory manner in which Arturo has organised the whole thing so far
and has brought out the best in everyone.

> We participated in meetings over five days where all the ongoing processes
were discussed in detail. Inspire of their niceness, English is not their
cup of tea! Therefore we are grateful to Maria who exhausted herself
completely each day to translate English into Spanish and vice versa. It was
a masterly performance, belying her years. Thanks Maria!

> Eduardo Espinoza, the noted activist, scholar and public health physician
from El Salvador heads the Program Committee and a lot of thought and
planning has gone into events, related events, resource people etc., Some
fine tuning needs to be done but you can all rest assured that PHA 2 is on
track and in competent hands.