PHM-Exch> 10 policies that could pay for the pandemic and just transition

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Nov 12 03:25:32 PST 2020

From: Hilde van der Pas <hildevanderpas at tni.org>

I am writing to ask your support in promoting a new report launched
today, Paying
for the Pandemic and a Just Transition
<https://longreads.tni.org/paying-for-just-transition>, that shows that
just *ten policy proposals could raise $9.4 trillion a year *– *enough to
pay for the pandemic, the Sustainable Development Goals, a climate
transition and reparations for slavery*.

We want to show that calls for austerity are not only unnecessary, they
would also deepen  our current crisis and forestall the investment we need
in tackling poverty and climate change. We also demonstrate that there are
many practical progressive financing solutions that need to be implemented,
drawing on the expertise of experts and activists worldwide such as
yourself.

We would love your help to amplify the message and get it heard.

*If you can, please take one minute TODAY to share it:*

1.    Through email lists you are on. Share the press release below
2.    On social media via these links: Twitter,
<https://twitter.com/TNInstitute/status/1326810715798298625> Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/TransnationalInstitute/>,
<https://fb.watch/1IIXNbAKYs/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CHfCETKjJnP/>, LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6732574900437032960>
3.    Include it in future articles or presentations you do

Please also let us know what you think, any questions you might have, and
suggestions for taking this forward.
Ben Tippet

Researcher, Transnational Institute

Lavinia Steinfort
Researcher, Transnational Institute

MEDIA ADVISORY

Embargoed until 00:01 CET, 12 November
Report shows that ten proposals could raise $9.4 trillion a year – enough
to pay for the pandemic, the Sustainable Development Goals, a climate
transition and reparations for slavery

(Amsterdam, 12 November). Ten progressive proposals could pay for the costs
of the pandemic and finance a just transition worldwide argues a new report
by the Amsterdam-based Transnational Institute (TNI).

The report, Paying for the Pandemic and a Just Transition,
<https://longreads.tni.org/paying-for-just-transition>says that ten
practical proposals could raise $9.4 trillion a year, showing that there is
no shortage of resources for tackling the world’s multiple crises. It poses
a strong challenge to those who argue that economic cutbacks will be needed
in the wake of COVID-19 and that it is not possible to ‘build back better’
as the newly-elect president Joe Biden has promised.

The report first calculates the costs of the pandemic and the finance
needed to fight climate change, to pay slavery reparations and to achieve
the sustainable development goals, saying this will need $9.410 trillion
each year over the next 10 years. It then pulls together 10 progressive
financing proposals, previously developed by international organizations,
think tanks, academics and social movements, which would raise $9.457
trillion annually.

The proposals include taxes on millionaires, offshore wealth, taxes on
corporations, eliminating subsidies on fossil-fuels, redirecting a portion
of military spending, issuing Special Drawing Rights (an IMF currency), a
debt jubilee and an increase in development assistance.  Many of the
proposals are conservative in their ambition and easy to implement – and
the report highlights a series of case studies of countries that have
enacted different versions of these proposals. As well as raising finance
from those most able to pay, they also enact costs on elites most
responsible for many of today’s crises, thus starting to change the balance
of power away from a small financial elite towards a more
democratically-controlled economy.

Researcher and author of the report, Ben Tippet, says: “Our world faces a
series of deep crises, and the worst response would be for Biden and other
leaders to repeat the failed austerity policies of the past. It is time to
invest in a safe dignified future for everyone. This report shows that this
is perfectly possible with a few policy actions to deal with the both the
pandemic and to build a survivable future that treats humanity with equity
and dignity.  Ultimately, moving towards a just world depends on political
power rather than availability of financial resources.”
TNI researcher, Lavinia Steinfort added: “This report leaves no doubt that
governments have plenty of options to raise the funds necessary to "build
back better". If we want our leaders to commit to tax justice, debt
cancellation and redirecting extractive finance towards people and planet,
then we will have to turn our backs on austerity and confront corporate
power. It’s time to focus our efforts on global, grassroots collective
action for a public finance that serves society.”

*For more information:*
•    The Paying for the Pandemic and a Just Transition  report  is
published at https://longreads.tni.org/paying-for-just-transition
•    TNI has also published co-edited Public Finance for the Future We Want
<https://longreads.tni.org/stateofpower/future-we-want> and The Future is
Public: Towards Democratic Ownership of Public Services
<https://www.tni.org/en/futureispublic>