PHM-Exch> Subject: Re: Article: India is Not a 'Vegetarian Country' Like the EAT-Lancet Report Would Have Us Believe

Richa Chintan richa at phmovement.org
Mon Dec 9 01:39:31 PST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kaaren Mathias <kaarenmathias at gmail.com>
Cc: phm-exchange at phm.phmovement.org

Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 22:31:21 +0530
Subject: Re: PHM-Exch> Subject: Re: Article: India is Not a 'Vegetarian
Country' Like the EAT-Lancet Report Would Have Us Believe

I fully agree that central in all discussions on diet we must address
nutritional value, cultural traditions, politics in every sense, and
industrial/ Big Agro food production processes and seek to use of local
foods, and food production by sustainable methods which may include meat
production... These are all critical and the Lancet article has not given
these adequate attention. I still believe that (given the larger carbon
footprint of most animal products, for the environment, for animal rights
and for cardio-vascular health) most people , especially those who have
access to diverse foods, should mostly eat a plant-based diet, even if this
is also promoted by a right wing, nationalist Hindutva Govt in India who
promote vegetarianism with a very different motive.

Kaaren