PHM-Exch> BREASTFEEDING FOR A SUSTAINABLE WORLD

Claudio Schuftan schuftan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 10:14:09 PDT 2018

From: Pei Ching Chuah <peiching.chuah at waba.org.my>

BREASTFEEDING FOR A SUSTAINABLE WORLD

*- April Newsletter -*

Welcome to the first WABA newsletter of 2018!

A lot of work remains to be done to prevent the 823 000 child and 20 000
maternal deaths each year. WABA, together with our allies, are stepping up
the work to protect, promote and support breastfeeding this year.

In our triannual newsletters, we will share updates on our campaigns and
news of our activities with you. We need your support to increase the
momentum of collective action and achieve greater impact throughout 2018.
Together, we can create an enabling environment where mothers and families
are supported to feed and care optimally for their infants and young
children.

*2018 is yet another exciting year for breastfeeding. The WBW 2018 slogan
Breastfeeding- Foundation of Life gives much food for thought and an
imperative to take action. We look forward to working more collaboratively
with all our partners to increase breastfeeding rates around the world.*

*Dr Amal Omer-Salim, WABA Executive Director*

*OUR CAMPAIGNS*

*World Breastfeeding Week 2018*

Breastfeeding is a universal solution that gives everyone a fair start in
life and lays the foundation for good health and survival of children and
women. This year, #WBW2018 focuses on preventing malnutrition, ensuring
food security and breaking the cycle of poverty.

Read our Announcement
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=343223fe4b&e=ccffe77f6c>,
use our Logo
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=df315b0a68&e=ccffe77f6c>
, Poster
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=f25bff6fc2&e=ccffe77f6c>
 or Action Folder
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=8cbf48b1e7&e=ccffe77f6c>
 in your advocacy efforts. Our materials will be available in a variety of
different languages so do visit our website for further updates.

We will be launching our WBW Seed Grants soon. Recipients will be selected
primarily from individuals and organisations that have submitted their WBW2018
Pledges
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=5d94f3a6a6&e=ccffe77f6c>
 so don’t forget to pledge your event.

WBW 2018 Website <http://worldbreastfeedingweek.org/>

*Warm Chain of Support for Breastfeeding*

The breastfeeding mother-baby dyad needs to be protected and cared for
particularly in the first 1,000 days timeline.

To create a #WarmChain
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=f1dcfbc338&e=ccffe77f6c>
of
support, we need to link different actors within the healthcare and
community settings. By doing this, we can link breastfeeding to the Sustainable
Development Goals (SDGs)
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=2e072b2363&e=ccffe77f6c>
and
contribute to maternal and infant survival, health and wellbeing.

Are you a midwife
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=ca8426a5a9&e=ccffe77f6c>
, lactation consultant
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=d3d0c6e0d5&e=ccffe77f6c>
 or nutritionist/dietitian
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=9f4610b35e&e=ccffe77f6c>?
Check out our postcards to see how you can contribute to the warm chain
now. We will be launching our postcards for pediatricians and academicians
soon so do stay tuned!

Participate in the Warm Chain survey <http://waba.org.my/warm-chain/>

*Empowering Parents Campaign *

Human rights and gender equality are vital to achieving a sustainable
world. Breastfeeding is a right of every mother and it is essential to
fulfill every child’s right to adequate food and the highest attainable
standard of health.

However, a lot remains to be done in addressing work as a major barrier to
continued breastfeeding. Globally, more than 800 million women workers
(41%) still do not have adequate maternity protection, and paternity leave
is only offered in 92 countries.

WABA created the #EmpoweringParentsCampaign to create adequate social
protection conditions that will facilitate the integration of parents’
productive and reproductive work in both formal and informal settings.

As a symbol of our commitment to gender equitable social protection
measures, WABA provided Parent-Friendly Workplace Seed Grants
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=46f9a55fc4&e=ccffe77f6c>
the Samaj Kalyan Foundation (India), the Centro de Apoyo de Lactancia
Materna (El Salvador), Nutri at ctive Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe) and Nutri-urban
Swaziland (Swaziland).

EPC Concept Note
<http://waba.org.my/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/EPC-Concept-note-Jan2018.pdf>

*BREASTFEEDING ADVOCACY & PRACTICE (BAP) COURSE*

Improving breastfeeding rates is one of the most effective ways for
countries to save lives and make progress towards achieving the Sustainable
Development Goals. Countries need to have enough people with expertise in
infant feeding who can lead programmes, train health professionals, monitor
the Code and advocate for change.

This two-week evidence-based BAP course aims to develop participants’
competency for breastfeeding support and advocacy. The course is organised
by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) and held in
collaboration with the Infant Feeding Consortium (IFC).

If you are interested in attending, please send us an application to
reserve a place.

Read more about the BAP course
<http://waba.org.my/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/waba_bap_2018d.pdf>

Apply for the BAP course now
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFfr2bmQpb_CftyMdXrWN12Zn1Qx6aE603lpfPV3QIAJCByA/viewform>

*OUR ACTIVITIES*

Between January and April 2018, WABA was involved in a variety of advocacy
efforts such as:

In January:

·  Attended the ASEAN Creating Breastfeeding Friendly Health Systems and
Beyond workshop organised by Alive & Thrive
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=cc28d95932&e=ccffe77f6c>
 and UNICEF
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=ca535cc274&e=ccffe77f6c>
in
Da Nang, Vietnam

·  Revived the Making Penang Breastfeeding Friendly
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=92eb8ab587&e=ccffe77f6c>
project
by bringing together all the stakeholders to develop an action plan

In February:

·         Launched the Breastfeeding Mother Support E-Newsletter
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=4f67df63ce&e=ccffe77f6c>
 (V15N2)

In March:

·  Produced the 2018 International Women’s Day
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=72108e0481&e=ccffe77f6c>
statement
focusing on empowering and transforming women’s lives

·  Launched our First Food for Thought
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=ff0fc7391a&e=ccffe77f6c>
blog
as a platform to the myriad voices of the movement, offering diverse
perspectives and creative common sense solutions to inspire and stimulate
action

·  Coordinated the Joint Statement for the Commission on the Status of Women
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=23256c1d10&e=ccffe77f6c>
(CSW62)
with the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=aa4bb0e38c&e=ccffe77f6c>)
and the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=963d3c5ba7&e=ccffe77f6c>
)

·  Involved in discussions with WHO and UNICEF
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=f7808a7c4e&e=ccffe77f6c>
regarding
the revision of the Global Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=0b667ade20&e=ccffe77f6c>

In April:

·         Collaborated with La Leche League International (LLLI
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=84b4ab1607&e=ccffe77f6c>)
on the World Health Day statement
<https://waba.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9c4737de875c6fa12b87991e8&id=bc0b5c6fc7&e=ccffe77f6c>
focusing
on universal health coverage for everyone, everywhere

--

*World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action*
P.O. Box 1200, 10850 Penang, Malaysia
Email: waba at waba.org.my
Websites: www.waba.org.my
             www.worldbreastfeedingweek.org