PHM-Exch> [PHM News] : WHO Executive Board (EB134) in Jan 2014 considering Traditional Medicine

Claudio Schuftan schuftan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 04:04:12 PST 2013

From: PHM's WHO Watch

WHO’s updated Strategy on Traditional Medicine (2014-2023) will be
considered by the WHO Executive Board (EB) in January 2014 as Agenda item
9.1 (and will be considered again in May 2014 at the WHA).

The revised strategy
<http://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/92455>(available in four
languages) aims to build the knowledge base, to
strengthen quality assurance and regulation, and to integrate traditional
and complementary medicine into the drive for universal health coverage.

The Secretariat note
(EB134/24<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB134/B134_24-en.pdf>)
describes the background to the revision which follows Resolution
WHA62.13<http://www.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/A62/A62_R13-en.pdf>and
describes “extensive consultation based on countries’ progress and
current new challenges in the field of traditional medicine” which has led
to this revision.

(It is perplexing that there is no reference to traditional birth
attendants in the revised strategy.)

PHM’s WHO Watch project will be at the EB and the WHA and we are presently
preparing comments to be shared with delegates before and during the
meetings.  PHM is keen to hear from PHM activists and friends who are
active in traditional medicine. We are keen to hear  your comment on the
revised global strategy and suggestions about how WHO could be more
effective in this area.

If you are involved in lobbying your country’s delegates about these issues
we would be keen to hear your line of argument.

Please respond to: hs-watch at phmovement.org.

Warmest greetings

WHO Watch