PHM-Exch> Food for a confessional thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Oct 1 13:44:53 PDT 2013

Human Rights Reader 325

*HUMAN RIGHTS READERS: I WRITE TO ENCOURAGE, TO PERSUADE, TO STIR AND TO
AROUSE YOU.*

[It has been over ten years that I have been writing these Readers. I
thought I would here pull together some of the roots of my credo for doing
so, in part using adapted quotes that I think apply to them].

*First, the confession *

* *

There is this passion that drives the demolishing craft of the essay
writer. (L. Padura)

* *

I am a hunter-gatherer-composer writer. Human Rights Readers (HRRs) thus
relay true stories and thoughts, in part, of third persons …with some of
the inessentials altered. How does this work? I am an avid collector of
clippings from what I read and use these in the Readers. Does this make me
a plagiarist? No! For two reasons: I give due credit to my sources, and I
rearrange things giving them a new meaning and life. Ultimately, there thus
is my imprint in the Readers.

2. I write them to read like an extended blog aimed at a non-technical, yet
somewhat learned audience. I make it a point for them to be in the best
tradition of polemic writing making sure their tone is incisive, even
militant. (Actually, Readers have much useful intellectual ammunition for
the friend of polemics). I attempt to make them proceed at a brisk pace by
adding my own insights. I try to give you, the reader, the feeling you are
invited to a party, a party for well-meaning adults with a clear sense of
social responsibility.

To read the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1IN

Claudio