PHM-Exch> concern about new synthetic-biology-based anti-malarial (4)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Apr 15 21:20:23 PDT 2013

From: "Bart (MalariaWorld)" <bart at malariaworld.org>

My two coins for the discussion:

There was concern that some 5000 farmers may lose their jobs if this drug
comes along on a big scale. This is regrettable of course, but I also see
it as inevitable because of technological progress. When fiber optics came
in Zambia's booming industry based on copper went belly up. Suppose
tomorrow one of the big pharma players would launch a malaria vaccine that
would provide life-long protection (or at least be as good as the yellow
fever vaccine) then some 10.000 malaria professionals would have to start
looking for new jobs. Should we therefore not develop such a vaccine? I
don't think so...

I am looking forward to your contribution for MalariaWorld.

Bart (Editor)