PHM-Exch> New Blog Article: “The Failure of Economics in an Unequal World”

David Woodward David.Woodward at neweconomics.org
Tue Mar 19 10:05:40 PDT 2013

Thanks for your thoughts, Sam. I certainly agree that economics (quite rightly) has nothing to say about equity per se. The blog does, perhaps, rather over-simplify matters in saying that "economics" assumes that a dollar has equal value regardless of who receives it. Good economics indeed doesn't; but orthodox economics, which is what most people understand by "economics" and which underlies most mainstream economic policy and discussion, is built on this implicit assumption. Otherwise, we would care much less about growth (and much more about distribution), wouldn't presume that market-based interventions are optimal, etc, etc.

I certainly think that the tools and general approach of economics have a great deal to offer, and that we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath-water; but I would also argue that orthodox economics gets it wrong on several different levels, and is long overdue for a comprehensive overhaul.

All the best

David