PHM-Exch> New Blog Article: "The Failure of Economics in an Unequal World"

David Woodward David.Woodward at neweconomics.org
Tue Mar 19 10:13:26 PDT 2013

Having said in my previous e-mail that economics rightly has nothing to say about equity, that doesn't mean it should have nothing normative to say about inequality. Part of what I was trying to get across in the blog is that inequality is about efficiency (where economics could and should have something to say) as well as equity.

Re poverty lines: I agree with Riaz that the $-a-day based measures, though useful (as the most widely agreed measure) are very problematic. For a summary of the problems, a critical review of alternatives, and a proposal for an alternative approach, see my paper "How Poor is Poor?" at http://www.neweconomics.org/publications/how-poor-is-poor.

David