PHM-Exch> SocMed Course in Haiti in 2013

Michael Westerhaus and Amy Finnegan socmedglobal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 19:51:59 PST 2012

December 17, 2012

Dear Friends of SocMed,

We are excited to announce that in 2013 SocMed will be offering another
course in addition to the annual course in Northern Uganda.  We have
partnered with the organization Physicians for Haiti to implement this
course in July 2013 for medical students of all levels.  The course in
Haiti will utilize much of the same curriculum albeit adapted to the local
context of Haiti.  *Praxis, the Personal, and Partnership *will continue to
drive the course pedagogy.  Please find below the official publicity email
about the course along with an attached course prospectus that gives more
details about the course.  We would greatly appreciate if you publicize
amongst your networks of potentially interested students.

Sincerely,

[image: Inline image 1]                  [image: Inline image 2]
Michael Westerhaus MD, MA      Amy Finnegan, PhD
SocMed Co-Directors

To Whom it May Concern,

SocMed and Physicians for Haiti (P4H) are pleased to announce the inaugural
offering of “*Beyond the Biologic Basis of Disease: The Social and Economic
Causation of Illness*” in Haiti. This annual three-week course, which will
be held from July 8th to 26th in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, is designed for
medical students of all levels and links tropical medicine with social
medicine teaching. The course merges a number of unique pedagogical
approaches including field visits, classroom- based presentations and
discussions, group reflections, student presentations, films, and bedside
teaching. These approaches are utilized to create an innovative,
interactive learning environment in which students participate as both
learners and teachers. We hope to advance the entire class’ understanding
of the interactions between the biology of disease and the social,
cultural, economic, political, and historical factors that influence
illness presentation and social experience.

This course will utilize a curriculum previously developed and offered in
Northern Uganda by SocMed, an organization which advocates for and
implements curricula for health professional students that is founded on
the study of social medicine.  The Haiti course represents an expansion of
SocMed’s activities to a new site in partnership with P4H.  SocMed will
continue to offer its annual course in Northern Uganda as well.  More
information on each organization can be found at www.physiciansforhaiti.org
 and www.socmedglobal.org .