PHM-Exch> Food for a badly needed thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Sep 2 12:28:15 PDT 2012

Human Rights Reader 296

 *EVERY SOCIETY UNEDUCATED IN HUMAN RIGHTS IS EASILY TRICKED BY
CHARLATANS.* (adapted
from Condorcet)

 When asked “What should we do about human rights?” Voltaire answered, “Let
the people know them”.

 We absolutely need to open a badly needed worldwide conversation on the
meaning of human rights (HR) as a comprehensive value system key for the
future of humanity.

The potential-to-influence-HR must not be confused with the
capability-of-doing-what-is-needed-about-them. Achieving the latter takes
time *, takes experience and requires overcoming many constraints. This is
why policy makers/duty bearers (but not only them!) need exposure to human
rights learning (HRL) so as to start focusing proactively on easing
these constraints.

A weak capacity to act, in good part, results from a lack of knowledge
about HR claims and duties. HRL is the key instrument to build people’s
capabilities; it is *‘a vector for meaningful action’. *

To read the rest of the Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1D2

Claudio