PHM-Exch> New tool on Social Determinants of Health now available

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Nov 28 15:19:54 PST 2011

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC) <ruglucia at paho.org>
crossposted from: EQUIDAD at listserv.paho.org

** ** ** **

*New tool on Social Determinants of Health now available

*

*ACTION:SDH** at: **http://bit.ly/rBjlT9* .

****

This tool is being brought to the public health community by the World
Health Organization with the aim of providing public health, and other
practitioners on the social determinants of health, with a one-stop portal.

****

ACTION:SDH houses knowledge on the social determinants according to the
five social determinants of health action areas identified in the World
Conference on Social Determinants of Health in October 2011.

****

It also provides a platform for discussion of action on the social
determinants of health. We invite all in the social determinants of health
community to register on ACTION:SDH. We are also actively seeking partners
interested in collaborating in building up the tool, together with its
users (contact: actionsdh at who.int).

****

There are currently three main features to the tool, which we hope to
develop jointly with you, and other partners within and beyond WHO:****

**                                                         i.
  **embedded
web-pages pages on SDH knowledge relevant to the five action areas for SDH
that were identified in the Rio Declaration;****

**                                                       ii.
 **discussion
forums that can be used to share tacit knowledge from practice - either by
invitation only, or open to all members; ****

**                                                      iii.            **a
document repository that initially is housing selected WHO materials on SDH
- documents are classified as Examples (case studies), Tools & Resources,
and E-library.

****

Other standard website features also exist, such as an area for advertising
upcoming training (Campus) and upcoming meetings (Events).

****

WHO website: http://bit.ly/u7YMza

****

Dr Rüdiger Krech Director, Department of Ethics, Equity, Trade and Human
Rights
World Health Organization WHO
Geneva Switzerland