PHM-Exch> Food for a thought that does not represent the people

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Aug 7 13:45:44 PDT 2011

Human Rights Reader 269

*HUMAN RIGHTS ARE CENTRAL OBJECTIVES OF DEVELOPMENT; IT IS UTTERLY
INSUFFICIENT TO REFER TO THEM AS ONE OF THE ‘CROSS-CUTTING’ ISSUES.* (part 1
of 3)

-Donors have done pretty much as they wished for quite some time now, and
this has not been beneficial for the developing countries.

*Applying the HR-based framework to development planning:*

In line with the MDGs, and in pursuing greater social justice, when we apply
the HR-based framework, the ultimate challenge we face is to significantly
sharpen our focus on disparity reduction while incorporating the human
rights perspective in all interventions, i.e., a perspective that fully
reflects the aspirations and demands of poor and marginalized people.

We know that most development programs are not prepared as human
rights-based programs despite the fact that there is an unequivocal
international agreement on the need to apply the HR-based framework in
development programming. This being so, are the right questions being really
asked right now? In this day and age, to ask and to respond to the latter
question, development planners have no choice but to include ratified human
rights treaties’ and general comments’ standards and principles in preparing
their development plans.

*In the HR-based framework, there is no doubt about who is accountable and
accountable for what! It reminds everybody that no one is above the law and
that, therefore, no one should escape with impunity*.

To read the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1ro

Claudio