PHM-Exch> food for a thought today, not tomorrow

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Jan 21 19:18:52 PST 2011

Food for a thought today, not tomorrow

Human Rights Reader 255

*IMPLICITLY, IN HUMAN RIGHTS PARLANCE, WE CONSTANTLY SPEAK OF SAVING THE
PLANET FOR THE NEXT GENERATION WHEN, IN REALITY, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SAVING
OUR GENERATION AND OURSELVES.*

**So, let’s stop talking bout our future generations, please. We are talking
about our own generation. We also have to stop talking and rather start
yelling. For now, our leaders have not yet heard us/cannot yet hear us. We
have to wean ourselves of the ‘Scarlett O’hara Syndrome’, i.e., “Today I
will not think about this; I’ll think about it tomorrow”. (Susan George)

We are living under a profoundly immoral system in which the guilty are
rewarded and the innocent are punished; in which benefits are privatized and
losses are socialized. Ultimately, protecting the innocent and punishing the
guilty is a question of public morale.

For the full Reader go to

http://www.socialmedicine.org/2011/01/21/human-rights/implicitly-in-human-rights-parlance-we-constantly-speak-of-saving-the-planet-for-the-next-generation-when-in-reality-we-are-talking-about-saving-our-generation-and-ourselves/

Claudio