PHM-Exch> PHM global in Cuba end of last year

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Feb 16 09:13:25 PST 2010

From: PHM Global Secretariat globalsecretariat at phmovement.org
______

In November 2009, PHM global was in Cuba for a number of events: an
International People’s Health University (IPHU), a PHM Co-ordinating
Commission (CoCo) meeting and some people stayed on for the Global Forum for
Health Research.

Bridget Lloyd, Global Coordinator, Cape Town.

*IPHU:*
The first phase was the IPHU in Havana.   45 young people from Cuba, and
Latin America more broadly, gathered for a 10 day IPHU exploring local,
regional and global issues involved in the people’s struggle for health.
There was a focus naturally on the experience of Cuba in building primary
health care, in addressing inequality as a determinant of health and in
expressing a wider global solidarity in reaching out to other developing
countries. Delegates were inspired by the achievements of Cuba in nation
building despite the illegal blockade and periodic harassment from the USA.
 Constraints arising from the blockade impact in all sorts of ways on the
ordinary lives of the Cuban people and delegates appreciated more closely
the sacrifices that come with standing up to imperialism.

The IPHU provided an opportunity to review the ‘struggle for health’ both at
the general level and in the specifics of Bolivia, Brazil, El Salvador,
Ecuador, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru,
Chile, Panama, Dominican Republic.  The stories brought by the participants
from different countries illuminated and sharpened the more general
perspectives on health and health care.

Setting up this IPHU in Cuba was not simple; many people contributed in key
ways but there was particular appreciation for the work of Ana Ivonne
Martinez Portuondo and her team fromm the Universidad de Ciencias Médicas de
la Habana.

Following the IPHU, PHM Latin America ran a one day workshop designed to
support a more wide ranging Dialogue between PHM and Cuban civil society.  A
feature of this event was the session exploring how to build closer links
between health activists in Cuban and the wider PHM networks including how
to direct more international attention to supporting Cuba.

A full report on the IPHU in Cuba will be available on the IPHU website

*PHM CoCo:*

PHM’s Coordinating Commission scheduled a two day meeting following the IPHU
and the Day of Dialogue. This meeting took place on the 14th and
15thNovember. A summary of key discussions and decisions is as
follows:

PHM – Organisational Development:* *We are looking at how to involve country
circles and affiliated networks in governance structures. It has been
suggested that we move to quota representation on the SC with regional
‘pools’ of country circles with rotating representation; a ‘pool’ of
international networks represented and an IPHU Alumni ‘pool’. We will also
explore quotas for gender and/or youthfulness, yet ensure experience,
knowledge and skills retained. We would need to have the necessary
governance reforms considered, decided and in place before PHA3.

*Evaluation and accountability:* PHM will be undertaking an evaluation to
collect information about activities, outputs, and outcomes of our programs.
We will also be looking at gender & reproductive health issues, and
mainstreaming of gender into programs including IPHU; and greater focus on
reproductive and child/maternal health issues in GHW. * *

* *

*WHO Commission on Social Determinants of Health (CSDH): *Mobilisation of
civil society as part of CSDH process was important for PHM & we had a
significant influence on the content of the CSDH report. GHW3 will be a
vehicle for picking up on impacts of the report and what is happening at
national govt levels; and we plan to give it a strong focus in PHA3. We need
to adopt a ‘watching’ & advocacy role in relation to implementation and
continue to engage civil society organizations in CSDH.

*Health Systems Strengthening and Links with AIDS Activists: *There are
various initiatives such as the proposed new fund for health systems
strengthening; the International Health Partnership (IHP) and IHP+, the
Stony Point group, etc. Some AIDS activists are keen to join with broader
civil society orgs such as PHM around health systems strengthening. PHM has
been concerned about the tendency to overly-vertical processes in
‘development assistance’ for health; the neglect of the SDH approach and the
failure to address the causes of inadequate government funding. Two lines of
activity emerge: alliance building with AIDS activist organisations
including further engagement with the Stony Point process; and development
of a PHM position paper on health systems funding and the role of any new
global funds.
Movement building in Africa: Linda (Africa regional co-ordinator) has
developed a constructive and thoughtful framework for developing PHM across
the region. We are planning on an IPHU in Kenya in April.  The WSF is
scheduled for January 2011 in Dakar in Senegal.  We need a strong focus on
the social determinants of health in Dakar & in the lead up to PHA3.

People wanting to be involved or assist in PHM in Africa to please contact
Linda on linda at phmovement.org.
Communications:  We discussed our communications including: the need for
regular and systematic communication; closer integration of different
communication and media; blogs and consideration of Facebook, Picasa as a
other possible media; production of audio podcasts for use with the
community radio sector; availability of appropriate hard copy resources;
production, distribution and utilisation of videos. There was deep
appreciation of Claudio’s contribution in supporting PHM Exchange.  Issues
for consideration in the future development of PHM Exchange include:
limiting the volume of emails and exploring use of digests and blogs;
develop clear guidelines for PHM Exchange; using to inform about activities
of PHM nationally and globally. Membership of CoCo: Ravi proposed to step
down from CoCo and will remain an active member of the SC. Deep appreciation
of Ravi’s contribution to CoCo were expressed. Global Health Watch 3 (GHW3):
The broad structure of GHW will continue:*  *

Section 1: Global political and economic architecture: different crises
(economic and over production, etc); South South co-operation and
alternative development paradigms.

Section 2: Health systems issues: New ways of financing health; undermining
of PHC by PEPFAR; Impact of commercial/private sector on public systems;
swine flu & other pandemics; Mental health.

Section 3: Beyond Health Care: War and militarization; Conflict & health;
military takeover of humanitarian aid.  Food and Nutrition;
Urbanisation;  sanitation
crisis; elderly; Climate change; Trade and Health; The right to health;
Pockets of resistance (social mobilisation and PHM; role of social movements
confronting power structures)
Section 4: Watching: Obama and optimism - any movement? NGO’s in health
sector; WHO (CSDH, PHC, partnerships); Regional banks, MDG’s, WB, IMF; Media
and health; Big Pharma; UNICEF

Country case studies to watch development of health systems in context of
change of global architecture; structural adjustment;
Right to Health Campaign (RTHC): It was agreed that RTHC needs to be an
integrated component of PHM work and seen as a mobilization tool for PHM
activities. Our approach needs to advocate for rights, whether or not the
principles are recognized in legal frameworks e.g. right to safe abortion.
We need a larger campaign plan that is international in scope and helps to
build the movement vision and long term objectives; the RTHC should become
an enabling function that promotes self-dependent, capacity strengthening
process that leads countries to work on their own. It was agreed to convene
a commission to develop an international campaign framework and steps for
developing campaign plans at national, regional, and international. Small
grants program will be stopped. An acknowledgement and vote of appreciation
to Laura and Claudio for all of the work they have done on this over such a
long time. People’s Health Assembly 3 (PHA3):* *Is being planned for mid
2011 in Cape Town South Africa.  At the Assembly, there will be a clear
focus on Social Determinants of Health (SDH) as part of building links with
other movements; re-inventing, reinvigorating, rejuvenating the movement;
the 10th birthday of PHM - a celebration of what we have achieved; both a
progressive health ‘conference’ where we showcase PHM and what we stand for
and to strengthen our main programs; debates with other key stakeholders. We
will have sessions to talk about strategies and the articulation of our
major programs; need to present testimonies as well as academic papers; have
a track on the organising of PHM circles; movement building. The role of
assembly is to authorise the governing structures of the Movement.* *Regional
activities and assemblies in advance of the global assembly is a way of
increasing participation in the process.A concept plan will be completed and
circulated. WHO Advocacy and Liaison:* *We should be more strategic and
efficient in our liaison with WHO including: improved planning; setting
priorities; regional committee meetings; January EB; preparation of papers
on current topics.  Need better links between WHO advocacy and country
circles carrying out national level advocacy.

*GFHR:***

Finally, some of the visitors stayed on for the Global Forum for Health
Research which was meeting in Havana, 16-20 Nov. The IPHU was recognized by
the Forum as a Satellite event.

The Global Forum for Health Research is an independent, international
organization, set up to  demonstrate the essential role of research and
innovation for health and health equity. The annual meetings of the Global
Forum provide opportunities for learning, sharing, and networking. While the
Forum has participation from diverse actors, including policy makers,
academics, researchers, students, industry, activists, NGOs and multilateral
agencies such as the WHO, it has been an useful platform for the PHM to
engage with different experiences and also to use the opportunity to present
the PHM to a global audience.

The 13th Annual Meeting of the Global Forum (Forum 2009) was organised in
Havana, Cuba, between 16-20 November, 2009. About 900 participants from 85
countries participated in the Forum. The theme of Forum 2009 was “Innovating
for Health of All”. A full report on the GFHR is available on the PHM
website. http://www.phmovement.org/en/node/2770

The PHM delegates and associates at the GFHR covered their travel and
accommodation costs through funding from the GFHR or their on organisations.
The PHM contributed with less than USD500  to cover the accommodation of a
few persons after Havana IPHU. Having the IPHU in Havana associated with the
GFHR greatly reduced the costs of the IPHU, as a large number of resource
people were sponsored to attend the GFHR, and we therefore did not need
budgetary support from PHM or IPHU budget.

Please do make contact with us if you have any thoughts, queries or
suggestions about anything contained in this report

Bridget Lloyd

PHM Global Coordinator

--
Global Secretariat