PHM-Exch> A letter to DG, WHO - re: pneumococcal vaccine - (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Aug 3 21:06:20 PDT 2009

From: Louis Reynolds puffin at iafrica.com

We did respond to this on 29 April.

Not much support for the All India Drug Action Network position on the
pneumococcal vaccine here.
Quite the contrary.

>>> Gregory Hussey <*gregory.hussey at uct.ac.za*> 2009/04/28 09:59 PM >>>
They definitely have got it completely wrong. It is probably as a result
of people like Puliyal et al that India have still not introduced Hib
vaccine into their routine EPI program, despite the vaccine being around
for more than 20 years. In all the countries where Hib vaccine is used
(including SA and many others in Africa) the disease has virtually
disappeared. In case you have not seen the WHO position paper on
pneumococcal vaccine - see attached. To me one of the most dramatic
effect of the vaccine is the 16% decline in all cause mortality - which
certainly will make a major contribution to achieving MDG4.
You may also be interested in visiting a website we have set up to
promote vaccine advocacy in Africa - see www.vacfa.com
Dr Hussey is Director, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular
Medicine,
Director, South African TB Vaccine Initiative,
University of Cape Town
 South Africa