PHA-Exch> Fwd: Economic Governance for Health

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Mar 24 01:36:23 PDT 2009

From: David McCoy d.mccoy at ucl.ac.uk and David Woodward <
David.Woodward at neweconomics.org>,

Please see www.eg4health.org

This is an initiative we have been working on  with a number of other people
- the aims and objectives are self-explanatory, and we are hoping to be able
to list tens of thousands of people onto the various sign-up letters

So far a few of us have been paying to set up this initiative including an
out-of-pocket payment of £1000 to get a professional website person to help
create the site. So if there is any PHM budget to support this, that would
be a great help. Hani, we had some initial discussions about this but it was
never concluded

 Otherwise, please circulate this far and wide (I have pasted below a short
‘welcome note’ that you include in any covering letters). Also, please send
any feedback you have on this

Dear Friends,

 We live in a profoundly unequal world. Over-consumption in wealthy
countries sends us speeding toward environmental crisis, even as most of the
world's people live on less than $4 per day - the critical threshold below
which life expectancy is estimated to fall due to poverty.[i]

 In 2000, all 189 member states in the United Nations committed to a
blueprint for development that included halving poverty, halting the spread
of HIV/AIDS, and providing universal primary education by 2015, but as of
2008 we were already falling behind on these goals [ii] Now, with trillions
of dollars of wealth wiped out by the current financial crisis, the
prognosis for global health equity and the world's poor looks grim indeed.

 But crisis also opens the way for change.

 Answering this challenge, a new initiative - *Economic Governance for
Health* (EG4Health) - aims to harness the voice and public health mandate of
the global health community. In partnership with other civil society groups,
we seek fundamental reforms of the global economic system in favor of just,
climate-friendly and pro-health development.

 At the root of EG4Health are three simple points:

 ·                     The global economy is critically important to health,
especially in developing countries

 ·                     If we hope to achieve global health equity, we must
first restore democracy and fair play to global economic governance, free
from the undue influence of wealth and power

 ·                     The voice of the global health community can and
should help to inform, stimulate, and shape the required reforms to the
governance of the global economy

 Visit www.eg4health.org to see how you can help and add your voice ….