PHA-Exch> BBC World Health Debate Nov 13

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Oct 24 18:19:51 PDT 2008

From: Ravi Narayan chcravi at gmail.com

Are there any PHM members who will/ can join this event.  We are trying to
find out who will be the panel members.  However it is possible that the
biomedical view may predominate?

*For the past twelve months, the BBC has been making "Survival", a new
landmark documentary series for the BBC World News channel. In that
time, the BBC has filmed in countries such as Niger, showing how ordinary
people are taking the lead role in fighting some of the most debilitating
and destructive diseases in the world. It has also followed the struggles
and achievements of people in the Democratic Republic of Congo fighting
Sleeping Sickness, and the truly heart-breaking problems faced by women
giving birth in Bangladesh.*

*As they've been making the films, they've been able to answer some
important questions, but feel they have raised many more. That's why they
have put together a panel of leading experts in the field of global health
to debate: *

*1. Why are we not on target to cut the number of mothers who die in
childbirth by three-quarters, as called for by the Millennium Development
Goals?*

*2. What will it cost to achieve universal access to good quality
healthcare, and who will pay for it?*

*3. How can we overcome the twin obstacles of logistical barriers, from poor
roads to weak health systems, and political failure, including conflict and
corruption? *

*4. What are the best new ideas that can address these problems? Is the
private sector and private philanthropy more flexible and capable than
nations, rich or poor? *

*5. How can new drugs, vaccines and techniques that are needed by the
poorest of the poor be produced at prices they can afford?*

*I hope you can take part. We're keen to have as many people in the audience
who have a strong interest in this subject and can put questions from the
floor based on their knowledge and relevant experience. (Please note **your
appearance and contributions may be recorded for broadcast on BBC World
News.)*

*Do let us know if you are able to attend.*

**

**

**