PHA-Exch> Financial Crisis -- What happened? What next?

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Oct 11 19:02:15 PDT 2008

from: notification-l at thecornerhouse.org.uk
NEW papers on The Corner House website

1) 'A (Crumbling) Wall of Money: Financial Bricolage, Derivatives and Power'

*http://www.thecornerhouse.org.uk/pdf/document/WallMoneyOct08.pdf*<http://www.thecornerhouse.org.uk/pdf/document/WallMoneyOct08.pdf>

2) 'Taking it Private: Consequences of the Global Growth of Private Equity'

*http://www.thecornerhouse.org.uk/pdf/document/PrivateEquitySept08.pdf*<http://www.thecornerhouse.org.uk/pdf/document/PrivateEquitySept08.pdf>

The crisis needs a deeper structural analysis of how financial markets have
changed over the past 2-3 decades -- because it is these changes that lie
behind the current financial meltdown, particularly those changes associated
wtih the evolution of 'new financial instruments' and 'vehicles' such as
derivatives and private equity.

The crisis provides an opportunity for the public to redefine what
constitutes 'the public interest' and to reassert its claims over how
finance should be managed and allocated and in whose interest.

Is capital just capital, whether it comes from hedge funds, private equity,
banks or the state? Or does the very structure of this new finance create
new challenges?

So we have posted on our website two papers:

-one exploring the 'shadow banking system'

-the other private equity.

 Your comments and feedback are always welcome.

 The Corner House