PHA-Exch> Call for PHM networks to participate in the GHW2 Launching - GUIDELINES for the launching by PHM circles

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Sep 14 05:27:36 PDT 2008

REMINDER:
From: PHM Global Secretariat secretariat at phmovement.org

  *A Call for all PHM networks to participate in *

Launching the Global Health Watch 2

The Global Secretariat of the People's Health Movement (PHM) jointly with
the Secretariat of the Global Health Watch 2 (GHW2) call upon all PHM
country circles and networks to participate in the launching of the GHW2.

The GHW

Global Health Watch is a collaboration of leading popular movements and
nongovernmental organizations comprising civil society activists, community
groups, health workers and academics. It has compiled the second edition of
its alternative world health report – a hard-hitting, evidence-based
analysis of the political economy of health and health care – as a challenge
to major global bodies that influence health. Its monitoring of institutions
including the World Bank, the World Health Organization and UNICEF reveals
that while some important initiatives are being taken, much more needs to be
done to have any hope of meeting the UN's health related Millennium
Development Goals.

The launching

The PHM Global Secretariat is urging all PHM country circles to use the
opportunity of launching the GHW2 for further mobilization around the PHM
principles and activism on country level. This would entail organizing a
wide range of pre-launching activities, linking the launching to big planned
events, organizing the launch, if stands alone, to discuss and promote the
content of the GHW2 rather than just launching it.

The launching activities will start during the second half of October till
the end of the year 2008. Each PHM country circle or group would decide upon
a launching date, may be in linkage to other planned national activity.

The overview is currently available in English and being translated into
Arabic (by the PHM global secretariat), German (by Medico International),
Italian (by AIFO), and Spanish (Coordinated by Maria Zuniga). We would like
to have volunteers to translate it into other possible languages.

Suggested guidelines for Launching the Global Health Watch 2 (GHW2)

The PHM country focal point / coordinating group may find the below
guidelines useful.

*Pre-Launching activities at the country level*

­      Identify national partners for the GHW launching activities. The
nature of partners would vary from a country to another. Broad categories
would include:

o   Civil society organizations, networks or movements

o   Non-governmental non-for-profit organizations

o   Trade unions

o   Professional syndicates

o   Professional organizations

o   Political parties

­      Call for preparatory meeting for the identified partners. The meeting
can be divided into two sections:

o   An introductory presentation on the GHW2

o   Semi-structured group discussion that would focus on reaching consensus
around:

§     should we launch the GHW?

§     should we use the launching for local and national mobilization? How?
(Detailed plan for the launching).

§     who else should we invite to join this process?

§     how can we contribute to the future GHWs?

§     how can we develop a country watch for violation of right to health?

*Launching activities*

The launching activities will definitely vary from a country to another
according to the consensus among the different country groups. The following
suggestions would be only useful as guidelines.

­      One or two-day event during which,

o      A session can introduce the global health crises, the importance of
an alternative world health report, the GHW2 (brief to the contents, main
messages and needed actions).

o      A session or more on the major country specific health problems and
health determinants (having testimonies highlighting violation of right to
health is always important).

o      A final session to discuss the utilization of the GHW2 and the
development of a national watch dog for violation of right to health.

­      Display area that would provide a space for participant organizations
and networks to present their own posters, publications, photographs, etc.

­      Culture evening(s): artistic shows would be organized in the evenings
of the days of launching days.

Announcing for and documenting the launching events:

­      The PHM website should be used massively to announce for the
launching in different countries. To be able to do that, we do need short
plans from the focal points of the PHM country circles that will be
committed to launching.

­      We urge the focal points of the country circles to provide short
coverage in form of reports and photos for the launching event. The reports
should document the process, the major themes of the launching event and any
plans of action for the future. These reports and photos will be uploaded on
the PHM website.

In addition, we can dedicate one issue of the PHM Newsbrief for covering the
launching events in different countries.

*Launching package*

The PHM Global Secretariat jointly with the GHW Secretariat will do their
best to make the following available for each country circle.

­      20 copies of the GHW2. Note: The GHW2 secretariat will make 20 copies
available for each country for free, however the launching organizers will
need to take care of the costs of posting the copies from the publisher in
UK

­      100 soft copies of the GHW2 on CDs.

­      Copies of PHM and GHW2 posters.

­      100 copies of the GHW2 Executive Summary. The Executive Summary will
be available in 4 languages (English, Spanish, French and Arabic). Note:
Each country circle would indicate the preferred language. We urge all PHM
country circles to propose translating, printing and disseminating the
summary in their own language. This will also need mobilizing funds.

­      Copies of the main PHM documents (PHM flyer in English; People's
Charter for Health in English; French and Arabic; Cuenca Declaration in
English, Spanish and Arabic; Mumbai Declaration in English and Arabic; and
Global Health Action 1 in English, French, Spanish and Arabic) can be posted
to the country circles upon request.