PHA-Exch> Food for shareholders thought (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Mar 21 03:37:14 PDT 2008

From: Sunil Deepak sunil.deepak at aifo.it

Thanks for this first of three Readers on Corporate Social Responsibility
(CSR). In this, the   focus is on CSR of transnationals and big companies. I
hope that you will also be able to touch on CSR of smaller or local
businesses as well and practical inputs on how these can be monitored.

There are already some suggestions in this first post about possible
monitoring mechanisms (like certification of CSR action by external
auditors, CSR must not make local authorities relinquish their
responsibilities). Some thing more of practical issues about how PHM
organisations are dealing with this will be appreciated. Sometimes CSR means
that businesses offer to give donations or support projects or give
percentages of their incomes to development organisations and NGOs.
Understanding better the transparency of CSR would help in deciding when we
should refuse such donations and collaborations.

If some PHM members have guidelines on how to identify businesses with whom
they can collaborate, we would be very grateful if you can share it with us.

I take this opportunity to send best wishes to all PHM friends celebrating
Idd, Holi, Nau Roz and Easter in this weekend.