PHA-Exch> Global Access to Medicines Bulletin: High Drug Prices, Access to Medicines and the Cost of R&D

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Feb 14 18:55:38 PST 2008

From: robert weissman rob at essential.org

If you have not done so already, we invite you to subscribe to Essential
Action's Global Access to Medicines Bulletin (see below for the latest
issue, or go to www.essentialaction.org/access/ to download the RTF
version posted on our website).

The second issue discusses the pharmaceutical industry's most frequent
justification for high drug prices in the developing world: the cost of
research and development (R&D) for new treatments. Our conclusion? That
Pharma's R&D cost estimates are often overblown, and that generic
competition in the developing world will not significantly undermine
industry's ability to develop new drugs.

To subscribe to the bulletin, click here
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/1678/t/5144/signUp.jsp?key=2959>.

We apologize if you have already received this message or have already
subscribed to the bulletin. We are sending the first three issues of the
bulletin to personal contacts as well as those who have subscribed, and
some duplication may occur.

Best,

Sarah Rimmington and Robert Weissman
Essential Action