PHA-Exch> Food for getting a better grip on a thought (3)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Dec 7 21:07:35 PST 2007

From: Zelda Holtman Zelda.Holtman at uct.ac.za

 I couldn't agree more Claudio (with your point 9), but it seems to me that
, for now at least, these human rights debates remain firmly locked within
academic fora where we preach to the (somewhat) converted. I have tried to
raise this point a few times in discussions (albeit at an academic
institution) but in return  receive blank looks that imply the
question/point is not appropriate nor valid. One can only conclude that the
political will is not there and that other strategies to inform/include the
public in such discussions are necessary. After all, is it not the general
public whose rights are violated daily, who is most in need of such informed
discussions and debates and where better to host these than within
communities in the form of those lively mass meetings we remember so well?

>>> "Claudio Schuftan" <cschuftan at phmovement.org> 2007/12/03 08:23 PM >>>

Human Rights Reader 179

 *WHY HAS THERE BEEN NO WIDER PUBLIC DEBATE ON HUMAN RIGHTS?*

9. In the absence of an open public debate, an under- and mis-informed
public can hardly participate in any critical public HR debate. An educated
general public is thus a prerequisite for any meaningful debate on the
HR-based framework; only then can claim holders act as such and influence
duty bearers by bringing pressure on them.

 Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ESCR-Right-to-Health;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc25rdDJ2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM3NjM4MjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0MzA5BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTE5NjcwOTA3Mg-->
 Yahoo! 360°

.