PHA-Exchange> [Healthcare-now] FW: We can win NATIONAL HEALTHCARE in About 16 Months

Marilyn Clement marilyncle at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 4 08:14:06 PDT 2007

September 4, 2007

We can win a single payer guaranteed national healthcare system in about 16
months.

Dear Healthcare-NOW Activists and Friends:

Right now, as we begin the new season and the continuation of a Congress
that has been unable (or unwilling) to overturn Bush's policies
(privatization and domination everyday everywhere), we at Healthcare-NOW are
making new plans.

Mr. Bush has unabashedly supported the unconscionable health profits of
insurance and pharmaceutical drug pushers - It doesn't matter how many
people they kill as long as their profits continue to roll in.

  This is the time to reassess where we are on the national healthcare
struggle.   One clear and unassailable  truth-we must elect a new
progressive Congress in 2008.  No ifs, ands or buts about it. We could elect
a Super Majority like 1964 when they passed Medicare in 1964.   But it must
be a "progressive" Congress willing to lead!

Michael Moore has made a tremendous difference.  His brilliance has helped
us build our campaign for national healthcare.  The fact that he urged his
huge mailing list to join Healthcare-NOW in creating new Healthcare-NOW
coalitions, the pre-opening benefit of SiCKO he provided for Healthcare-NOW
in Atlanta, and his relentless message about the healthcare system has
helped tremendously as we continue to build the campaign to make our nation
respond to each other as "we" instead of "me".

The Sickocure website has brought us thousands of new members and potential
activists on this issue and we've been able to send those names to our
organizers in their cities nationwide.  At the same time, the healthcare
options are boiling down to two:  1.Individual Mandates forcing everybody to
purchase insurance from the private insurance companies "You're on Your
Own," or 2. Single Payer, a much better, publicly-funded healthcare system
"All in it Together."

If you are a new person to this struggle, we urge you to go to
www.Healthcare-NOW.org <http://www.healthcare-now.org/> , join
Healthcare-NOW, pay some dues, read the website, and be in touch with us
about how you can really get involved with the campaign to get a national
guaranteed healthcare system for all.

Here are some of our plans for the coming fall and spring, and we hope you
will help us succeed:

1.    A National Roadshow featuring the DVD of SiCKO, will invite people to
caravan with us to the next city and urge people to come to the Road Show,
tell their healthcare story on video tape (which we will send to Michael
Moore) and to hear about the solution to healthcare in this country - a
guaranteed, national, single-payer healthcare system for everyone,
guaranteed - for life!  We will also be talking about and demonstrating how
we can get from here to there.  You are invited to come along with us and
even join us as an organizer or a driver, a camera person or a short order
cook along the route.  We plan to launch the Road Show in November.

2.    A SiCKO Action Guide is in the works -- something that you can use in
meetings, house parties, your church, your union, your student group , or
with business associates, anywhere you intermingle with other people to
discuss the issues raised in "SiCKO" and your own experience with the
healthcare system - We'll also be talking about solutions on this power
point/ pamphlet.

3.    Our new Washington advocacy office can help you with meetings you're
your Congress person in D.C. or at home in your home district.   She can
supply information on your Member of Congress and information on how you can
help get at least 100 Members of Congress signed onto H.R. 676, the United
States National Health Insurance Act.   We now have 78 co-signers and we are
shooting for 100.    Call Elyse Seigle at our D.C. office -- 202-488-5650

4.    Truth Hearings in communities nationwide.  Pull together your
community. Tell the truth about the system and talk about the solution -
everywhere.  If you are organizing a Healthcare-NOW truth hearing, be in
touch with our office or look at the ACTION pages on our website, and get
some organizing help and lists of speakers.

5.    Creation of ads for key television markets to help people understand
how a national healthcare system would work.

YOU CAN HELP!

It is entirely possible that we will win a national single payer, guaranteed
healthcare system during the next few months.  We must work to elect a
progressive congress - a huge majority in 2008 and we must build a huge
constituency for single payer guaranteed healthcare during the next 14
months.   That Congress will be expected to lay a single payer health plan,
H.R. 676, in front of the newly elected president in order to get it
implemented during 2009.

Since you are a part of Healthcare-NOW, we hope you will pick up a part of
this task.   Look for progressive candidates.  If you have a Member in your
District who is supportive of our goals, be sure to get that person elected.

During the next three months, we must raise the money to continue our
offices in Washington and New York, support organizing efforts all over the
country, and run the Roadshow - all essential tools if we are to win.. In
addition, we can place strategic ads in important markets.  All you have to
do is turn on the TV to understand how important it is to counter the
fraudulent healthcare message of the big insurance and pharmaceutical drug
pushers and their front groups.

You are one of 50,000 people on this list now - people who see the need for
a national healthcare system.  We have support from virtually sector of the
society.  The people want it.

* If every person on this list pledged just $10 per month to Healthcare-NOW
(Donate NOW right on our website,) we would have enough money to do all of
the above and, most probably be able to win guaranteed national healthcare
for everybody for life by early 2009.

We know you are supportive and you want to help.  Please send a check or go
to the website and make a pledge right now.   Go to: www.healthcare-now.org
<http://www.healthcare-now.org/>   and click the "Donate NOW" button.  It is
easy and it will make a huge difference.  If you want to volunteer for the
Road Show or to do a Truth Hearing in your community, call or write us.
That will be a great contribution  too.

Call me if you want to talk about it.  1-800-475-8350.   I want to talk to
you.

Our sincerest thanks to all of you for your continuing inspiration and
support,

Marilyn Clement

National Coordinator

Healthcare-NOW