PHA-Exchange> Fw: South Africa Right to Health Campaign

Laura Turiano phm at turiano.org
Wed Aug 29 12:30:06 PDT 2007

>From the PHM South Africa Right to Health Campaign

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:34 AM
Subject: Request for Endorsement and Support--The People's Health Movement's "Right to Health Campaign"

Dear Concerned Citizens and Organisations:

I am writing on behalf of the People's Health Movement (PHM) in South Africa
which will be officially launching its "Right to Health" Campaign on the 8th
of September at OR Tambo Hall in Khayelitsha. PHM is a global movement whose
goal is to ensure that the health of every human being on earth improves. We
plan to do this by mobilising for health to be placed highest on the agenda
of political priorities.

We have a broad and inclusive definition of heath and understand that it is
not only poor health services that are to blame for our burden of disease.
Incorrect or poorly implemented policies, at both a global and local level,
are resulting in our people not having access to many of the simple factors
that determine good health-adequate food, clean water, decent sanitation,
secure housing, steady employment, proper health information and cheap,
locally-produced medicines.

The Right to Health Campaign in South Africa is based on the fact that we
have a non-negotiable right to these basic determinants of good health. We
are part of a global grassroots campaign spreading this message. We have
already enlisted support and received endorsement from a wide range of
organisations, including faith-based organisations, NGO's, trade unions,
health care workers, activist groups, student organisations, public health
associations, universities and others.

Recent events have highlighted the health crisis we face in South Africa,
and we write to ask for your organisation's support in our campaign. You can
assist us by either sending us a written endorsement of the principles we
stand for (via return email, fax or letter) and/or by your representatives
attending the official launch of the campaign on 8th September at the Oliver
Tambo Hall in Khayelitsha.

Thanking you in advance
The Steering Committee for the Right to Health Campaign in South Africa

Contact: Dorothy Appalasamy (Co-ordinator), 082-806-0540 or 021-932-6042 or
st.faith at telkomsa.net

On the web, visit www.phmovementsa.org for information on the South African
campaign or www.phmovement.org for more on the global People's Health
Movement.

The Right to Health Campaign will be launched on the 8th of September at
10.00am.  We will first march from Nolungile Clinic (Site C) to OR Tambo
Hall in Khayelitsha to demand our rights!  At the Hall, we will hear from
prominent South African and international health activists about how we can
fight for the right to health for all.

"Health is a social, economic and political issue and above all a
fundamental human right. Inequality, poverty, exploitation, violence and
injustice are at the root of ill-health and the deaths of poor and
marginalised people." People's Charter for Health

Sarah Shannon
Executive Director
Hesperian Foundation
1919 Addison St. #304
Berkeley, CA. 94704
(510) 845-1447 ext. 206

Inside Hesperian: Read personal accounts about our projects, partners, and staff on our weblog:
http://hesperian.typepad.com/weblog