PHA-Exchange> Nestlé buys baby food giant Gerber

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Mon Apr 16 19:42:53 PDT 2007

from Ted Greiner <tedgreiner at yahoo.com> -----

> Nestlé buys baby food giant Gerber
> Nestlé, currently the world's largest food
> corporation, is set to add yet another company
to its ever-gowing list of holdings. The Swiss
company said it will soon buy Gerber, which owns an
> astonishing 79% of the baby food market in the
> United States.
>
> Up til now, Nestlé has had no infant formula
> presence in America. Peter Brabeck-Letmathe,
> Nestlé's CEO, said that the acquisition is a
step towards making his company "the undisputed
global leader" in infant nutrition.

> This is bad news for anyone concerned with
infant health.

> Nestlé is the world's worst violator of the
> International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk
> Substitutes, a document designed to prevent
> corporate interests from negatively impacting
infant health. Through its aggressive advertising of
infant formula, the company has undermined
breastfeeding and infant health for decades.

> Nestlé's marketing practices have in recent
years have included making health claims about their
> products based on falsified research, and
giving gifts to health workers in return for their
> endorsement. It is feared that Gerber, which
had made some strides towards Code compliance, will
now shift its advertising tactics and follow
Nestlé's example of systematic Code violations.

> Mike Brady, Campaigns and Networking
Coordinator at British Nestlé Boycott group Baby Milk Action,
said: "Nestlé is the worst of the baby food
companies so this growth in its market share can only be bad
news for mothers and infants. We did have hope that
> aggressive marketing by Gerber would be ending
asits previous owner, Novartis, gave undertakings
to comply with the World Health Assembly marketing
> requirements. Nestlé breaks these in a
systematic manner and has rejected our four-point plan
aimed at having infant lives and ultimately ending the
> boycott we promote. We will monitor closely
with our partners to see what happens with Gerber
practices."