PHA-Exchange> A global perspective on health promotion and the social determinants of health

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Tue Feb 27 18:07:14 PST 2007

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)
 EQUIDAD at LISTSERV.PAHO.ORG

A global perspective on health promotion and the social determinants of health

Health Promotion Journal of Australia - December 2006   Volume 17, No 3

Full text of this Issue is available free online [116p.] at: http://www.healthpromotion.org.au/journal_dec06.pdf

Available until Monday, 12 March 2007

Editorials

·         Equity and the social determinants of health
Fran Baum and Liz Harris

"..The extent to which the health sector can lead or value add to the work of other sectors on these issues will require change in priorities and practice. The lessons from history would suggest that this change will take time, be contested, and require change in the ways in which we all think about what we are doing. In the short term, this may involve lobbying for a specific proportion of health budgets to be allocated to prevention and early intervention, bi-annual reporting of  progress against an agreed set of cross-sector social indicators for health and well-being, and open debates on the values upon which we want our society to be built. In the longer term, health promoters need to be advocates and implementers of policies that will create a fair and just society where opportunities for health are equitably distributed..."

·         A global perspective on health promotion and the social determinants of health
David Sanders

·         The social determinants of health: what are the three key roles for health promotion?
Dennis Raphael

·         Are social determinants of health the same as societal determinants of health?
Barbara Starfield

Policy

·         Building healthy and equitable societies: what Australia can contribute to and learn from
the Commission on Social Determinants of Health
Fran Baum and Sarah Simpson

·         Social determinants, political contexts and civil society action: a historical perspective on
the Commission on Social Determinants of Health  Orielle Solar and Alec Irwin

·         The role of the People's Health Movement in putting the social determinants of health on
the global agenda Ravi Narayan

·         The social determinants of health: is there a role for health promotion foundations?
Barb Mouy and Ali Barr

·         The role of health promotion: between global thinking and local action  Lesley King

·         The health system: what should our priorities be?  Anne-marie Boxall and Stephen R. Leeder

·         Equity, by what measure? Shane Houston

·         Sustainable communities: what should our priorities be? Valerie A. Brown and Jan Ritchie

Research

·         Federal, State and Territory government responses to health inequities and the social determinants of health in Australia
Lareen Newman, Fran Baum and Elizabeth Harris

·         Smoking, not smoking: how important is where you live? Christine Migliorini and Mohammad Siahpush

·         Evaluation of the Outreach School Garden Project: Building the capacity of two Indigenous remote school communities
to integrate nutrition into the core school curriculum Antonietta Viola

·         Scoping supermarket availability and accessibility by socio-economic status in Adelaide Lisel A. O'Dwyer and John Coveney

·         Food insecurity in three socially disadvantaged localities in Sydney, Australia
Michelle Nolan, Glenys Rikard-Bell, Mohammed Mohsin and Mandy Williams

·         Utility stress as a social determinant of health: exploring the links in a remote Aboriginal community
Eileen Willis, Meryl Pearce, Carmel McCarthy, Tom Jenkin and Fiona Ryan

Point of View

·         The war on obesity: a social determinant of health Lily O'Hara and Jane Gregg

·         Social determinants of health and health inequalities: what role for general practice? John Furler

·         The NSW Social Determinants of Health Action Group: influencing the social determinants of health
Suzanne Gleeson and Garth Alperstein