PHA-Exchange> The Millennium Development Goals Report 2006 (2)

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sun Jul 16 04:11:10 PDT 2006

From: George Kent

In a paper I am currently writing, I ask:

"what is the meaning of a global progress report when there really is no systematic global program of action toward the goal? The Millennium Development Program has been misleading because there never has been any real global program of action. This is not the story of a failed strategy; it is about the absence of strategy. Despite the lofty rhetoric of the Millennium Development Program and all the summits and agreements on hunger that preceded it, there never has been a truly global program of action to address the problem. It has always been treated as a collection of national problems."

And a few paragraphs later:

"Serious strategies for addressing malnutrition would offer more than a few scattered recommendations. They would describe stepwise plans of action designed to reach the goal. There should be clear incentives for the actors to do what needs to be done, and there should be institutional mechanisms in place to assure that all actors are held accountable for doing their jobs. Just as the construction of a building or a bridge is only possible with detailed planning and periodic course corrections during the process of working toward the goal, the human right to adequate food can only be fully realized through carefully designed and implemented programs of action."