PHA-Exchange> PHM transition

Laura Turiano phm at turiano.org
Fri Apr 28 12:36:21 PDT 2006

I would also like to thank those who have worked so hard over the past several months on the transition process. I am looking forward to the new energy and opportunities this change will bring.

I read the responses to the transition report in the last Exchange and offer the following comments:

1. As a member of the coordination of the PHM circle in the USA, I would like to acknowlege the remarks of Mohammed Ali Barzgar from Iran - "It means the ongoing war in Iraq and Afghanistan ,incomming war of US against Iran and long-standing issue of occupation and aggression against great people of Palestin became the centre of concern of PHM." Since the last assembly, the US circle has been getting somewhat more organized and we now have an Antimilitarism interest group that has been supporting the work of Doctors for Iraq Society. In cooperation with a number of other NGOs, we organized a conference at the University of Iowa, "The Medical Consequences of War".

I think I can speak for the US coordination group when I say that we understand that we have a unique relationship and responsiblity to this issue, being that it is our government that is the principle agent of military aggression in the world at this time, and our collaboration with the PHM circles and NGOs in countries where the US military has a presence is crucial. Please do not hesitate to contact me or the Antimilitarism interest circle with your ideas about how we can work together. The contact information is available at http://www.phm-usa.org/activities.html

2. I strongly agree with Maria Herrera on the importance of developing the local level organization and her suggestions are excellent - "to reinforce the membership sense to PHM, to renew their adherence to principles of PHM, to disseminate the work and experiences from regional networks (as Latinamerican Health Network work), to consult popular opinion, to enroll more NGO's, to make a virtual members directory by NGO, to offer a document membership (at least virtual)".  As an example of how implementing a virtual members directory would be helpful, I did not know until the last Exchange that there are PHM circles in Turkey and Iran. Having a list of affiliated NGOs and country circle contact information available on the website (in other words, making information now concentrated in the secretariat available to all) would greatly facilitate our networking capabilities. I would also add that in implementing a "social network strategy" we must pay attention to how to connect with/involve those who lack access to the internet.

Laura

Laura Turiano, MS, PA-C
Right to Health Campaign
People's Health Movement - US Circle