PHA-Exchange> PHM India statement in support of the Narmada struggle

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Apr 21 23:00:13 PDT 2006

The following statement supporting the NBA demands has been sent to the Prime Minister and other officials on behalf of JSA today.

Regards,

Abhay

To,                                                 14 April 2006

Shri Manmohan Singh,

Prime Minister,

Government of India,

New Delhi

Dear Prime Minister,

As representatives of Jan Swasthya Abhiyan, a nationwide coalition of 18 national networks and several hundred organisations working on community health and health rights issues, we want to express our deep concern on developments regarding the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) and its fight for justice for the thousands displaced by the Sardar Sarovar Dam.

Ms. Medha Patkar, Mr. Jamsingh Nargave and Mr. Bhagwati Patidam have been on an indefinite fast for two weeks already, to protest the gross negligence of your Government in providing timely and appropriate rehabilitation to those displaced by the project. We note with concern that the health of the three fasters is beginning to deteriorate on their 16th day of indefinite hunger fast. It is indeed regretful that in response to the fast, your administration had sent in a posse of over 400 police to forcibly arrest Ms.. Patkar and Mr. Nargave. Media reports indicate that several peaceful activists of the NBA were beaten up. This violent and unjust response to peaceful and democratic protests is a violation of the democratic traditions of India and is a blot on your Government.

 It is well documented that the Sardar Sarovar Project has displaced tens of thousands of indigenous peoples and farmers, very few of who have been fairly compensated and rehabilitated. The adverse impact of this displacement on the lives and health of the people in the Narmada valley is widely recognised.

The adverse health impacts of this displacement have been presented by JSA representatives before the National Human Rights Commission and Union government health officials, during the National Public hearing on Right to Health on 16-17 December 2004.

The move to further increase the dam height is completely unwarranted when families who were promised rehabilitation (and have still to receive it) are sitting for justice in the streets of Delhi. Independent reports estimate that thousands of people spread over 200 villages in the project-affected areas still await basic rehabilitation.

Supporting the NBA's main demands, we call upon your Government to immediately undertake a thorough assessment of the Sardar Sarovar Project on economic, social, environmental and developmental parameters. Until such an assessment, with the active participation of affected communities, is done we believe that a standstill in project construction is a just and reasonable demand.

The National Alliance of People's Movements, to which NBA is affiliated, is one of the constituent networks of Jan Swasthya Abhiyan. JSA is committed to continue its support to the struggle by the Narmada Bachao Andolan, to ensure that your Government does full justice to the people of the Narmada valley.

Yours Sincerely,

(Jan Swasthya Abhiyan)