PHA-Exchange> Update about Dr.Mathura Shresta from his son

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Wed Jan 25 05:35:49 PST 2006

Dear All,

It has been a week since my father (Dr. Mathura Shrestha) was arrested,
along with a host of other civil rights activists, human rights defenders
and political leaders. You might recall that a sweeping arrest was made just
a day before the proposed demonstration called by the political parties
against the present illegitimate regime in Nepal. The govt. then clamped
down all the civil liberties and imposed an unprecedented dawn to dusk
curfew on the day of demonstration to thwart the so called Maoist
infiltration. The regime is still hell bent on conducting the municipal
polls scheduled just around a fortnight from now, although all the major
political parties (which constituted over 90% of the now defunt parliament)
have pledged to actively boycott the polls and despite such a precarious
security situation in the country. It just shows that the present King is
ready to cross any limit just to save his skin and cling on to the power.
Nobody knows the extent of violence and bloodshed in the coming days.

I am happy to tell you that my father is still in an excellent condition and
the present sanction has only heightened his enthusiasm. The people of Nepal
will continue the struggle till the end. I request you all for an active
support and participation' in Nepal's fight for civil liberty and people's
sovereignty.

Thank you, Pranabh Shrestha

----- End forwarded message -----