PHA-Exchange> Gender issues being depoliticized

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Wed Aug 31 23:02:02 PDT 2005

SURF HDR - Messurement Sub-Network
From: Shipra Bose

 I believe "Gender" as a concept has been depoliticized to the extent that people feel at ease with it. The same level of comfort often is not witnessed when terminologies such as "Women's Empowerment" or challenging "patriarchies" are put forth. I personally believe that the general expressions of institutions and individuals of "Gender Mainstreaming" is problematic and have contributed to that effect (this has to do with both knowledge and political positions) as well. In a way, depoliticisation of gender has created a scenario whereby the political essence of Gender Power Relations and structural causes in that regard no longer seem to matter much. Hence the progress in relation to overcoming existing gender inequality is not remarkable. These are equally valid for both programmatic responses and oraganisational (internal cultural and governance of agencies/institutions/organisations) issues. This has been compounded by the fact of an existing lack of sound knowledge and understanding of Gender Matters, and lack of adequate expertise, skills/capacity that is required to make gender a "living practice". I tend to agree with thise that  say that even for the UN system the capacity for gender mainstreaming is a big challenge. Furthermore I would like to add that political positions/wills, in their true meaning, and readiness to effect change are  a key factor.
Shipra Bose
UNV Programme Officer
Zambia