PHA-Exchange> Development and Poverty Reduction - Looking Back, Looking Ahead

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Tue Dec 7 19:40:17 PST 2004

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)

Any of our list members willing to check out this document by the WB President and willing to write a short review/critique for the list?
Claudio

Development and Poverty Reduction

Looking Back, Looking Ahead

James D.Wolfensohn, François Bourguignon

Prepared for the 2004 Annual Meetings of the World Bank and IMF, October 2004

            Available online as PDF file [44p.] at: http://www.worldbank.org/ambc/lookingbacklookingahead.pdf

"...Development thinking and practice have evolved in ways that should be conducive to more rapid development, but the promise has yet to be fulfilled.Why?

In part because of natural lags between thinking, practice, and outcome. But also because countries of the developed and developing worlds have not delivered fully on their commitments in their North-South development partnership.."

Content:

Introduction

Part 1

Changes in development thinking and practice during the 1990s

Changes in development thinking

Changes in development practice

Part 2

Where are we now? The past decade's development achievements

Poverty reduction: Global progress, but with lagging regions

Global environmental stewardship

Delivering on commitments

Part 3

The way forward

Projecting forward: The world in 2015 and 2030

The agenda for the next decade