PHA-Exchange> Globalization and Health

PHM - Secretariat secretariat at phmovement.org
Tue Dec 7 03:00:25 PST 2004

Dear Friends

Greetings from PHM Secretariat (Global)!

This is the first academic book on Globalization and Health, which not only has a small contribution from Claudio and myself about PHM as a counter initiative to the ill effects of globalization on health, but also has some interesting comments about the significance of PHM in the Global and globalization context in the introductory and concluding chapters of the book. The authors / editors have presented PHM as a good example of 'Globalization from below' to counter the 'Globalization from Top'.

It is when academics, policy makers and researchers begin to take us seriously and we get discussed and written about in other circles outside of direct PHM linkages - that we can be sure that PHM is coming of age, even though we are still only under five.

This is one such example. Do any of you know of any more??

Best wishes

Ravi

PS: We shall be circulating some of Richard's comments on PHM as a stimulus for reflection.

Ravi Narayan
Coordinator
PHM Secretariat (Global)
c/o CHC