PHA-Exchange> Food for a trillion dollar thought

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Jun 18 09:30:54 PDT 2004

Human Rights Reader 74

FIVE DECADES OF DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE HAVE COST THE WORLD OVER 1 TRILLION USD:
HOW MUCH IN IMPROVED HUMAN RIGHTS IS THERE TO SHOW FOR THAT?

Development in the wrong direction?:
1. Development cooperation can neither be reduced to fighting terrorism nor can
development policy remain a repair shop for the longstanding damage done by a
whole series of wrong --purportedly anti-poor (??)-- economic policies.

2. Those responsible for those wrong policies, i.e., the (macro) economic and
trade policy makers, we have not seen and still do not see as the persons or
institutions to whom we should be addressing our angry criticism. Ergo, we have
been sending the letter to the wrong address

3. We, as part of civil society, should therefore, not look to Development
Ministries and Development Policy Agencies, but rather to Ministries-of-Trade-
and-Finance-senior-officers to take our claims to. [Our claims should also go
to the private-sector-that-so-clearly-influences-the-latter and interprets
business ethics only as (sometimes) ‘honest-book-keeping’ and not as ethics
also shouldering a clear responsibility for domestic and Third World poverty.
In the same context, do not overlook the fact that the existing body of laws is
like a tailor-made-suit that fits the interests of the more privileged in the
private sector].

4. In part, this has happened, because in our development and human rights (HR)
work we have not focused on finding the hidden (or not so hidden?) connections
between the different forms of injustice, inequality and HR violations we
witness day-in-day-out and their (sometimes removed) basic causes.

5. That is why this Reader has insisted we need ideology: to become aware of
how hidden (political and philosophical) assumptions influence us, our theories
and our praxis. The price for showing contempt for ideology has been that many
of us are liable for grave past and present political mistakes.

6. The Reader has many times, and in different ways, pointed out that --in the
words of E.F. Schumacher-- ‘markets are the institutionalization of
individualism and irresponsibility’ and that the basic principle of Capitalism
is money-making which is always valued higher than democracy, HR, environmental
protection, or any other value dear to us. So, changing the rules of the game
will mean, first, changing this basic principle.  (Note that the right
to ‘material acquisition or accumulation’ has falsely been portrayed as another
HR
!!).

7. The Reader has also repeatedly made calls to de-mistify the false division
many among us still see between what is considered to be political and non-
political: HR is politics, as is food, health, education, the environment
and
we unfortunately have little sustainable progress to show for in any of these
fronts.

Claudio Schuftan, Ho Chi Minh City
claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Through much of this Reader I distilled arguments found in several issues of
D+C the German development journal, the book ‘The Hidden Connections’, by
Fritjof Capra, the book ‘Heading South, Looking North’ by Ariel Dorfman and the
book ‘Refugiado del Iraq Milenario’ by Claudio Sepulveda.