PHA-Exchange> MORE PREPARATIONS FOR THE World Social Forum

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Sun Jan 19 00:17:33 PST 2003

From: "Lanny" <vze2x6qm at verizon.net>
 <lannysmith at post.harvard.edu>

Dear Companeras y Companeros: On Tuesday, 21 January, at 8:30 am I will
be giving a presentation on Liberation Medicine (in Spanish) at the
pre-Forum on Health of the World Social Forum in Porto Alegre. Today I
participated in the March for Peace in Washington, DC, more than 300,000
people against war in the Middle East. I also spoke on Liberation
Medicine and the Peoples Health Movement at the International Federation
of Medical Student Associations US Meeting in Philadelphia (on my way
back to the Bronx, where I live and work now). And, early this morning I
met with Dr. Juan Romagoza, Director of La Clinica del Pueblo, in
Washington, DC, who said both he and the clinic would like to be part of
the PHM. Also, two nights ago, Debbie Daniels and Max Fisher, also of
Doctors for Global Health, DGH (www.dghonline.org) and also PHA 2000
participants, did a special presentation with me at Columbia University
(Public Health and Medical Schools) on the Peoples Health Movement. As
you probably know, DGH has, with the Hesperian Foundation, been asked to
help build a base for the PHM within the USA and Canada of persons doing
base community health care, so as to have a representation of these
people and groups at the next PHA and to add their voices to the
Movement. Perhaps some of you have contacts from your movements to
groups within the USA and Canada. Your help in inviting these groups to
the PHM is essential. If you know of someone or a group we should
contact, please write Mollie Williams at development at dghonline.org I
hope to meet with other PHM persons at this World Social Forum. Please
let me know where and when. To close, I finally have access to a
scanner, so some photos from PHA 2000 will be arriving to my friends
from Africa shortly--my apologies for the wait of more than 2 years!

In Health and Social Justice,

Lanny Smith
President's Council (DGH) and Liberation Medicine Counsel
Doctors for Global Health, DGH