PHA-Exchange> How many lives is equity worth? (2)

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Wed Dec 4 23:47:35 PST 2002

From: "Rene Loewenson" <rene at tarsc.org>

The brief posted under this title notes that:
> 'As a way out, we basically need to promote greater direct
> community-surveillance of equity issues'.
>
> I agree. You may be interested that we have set up two civic networks in
Zimbabwe doing this:

> 1. the Community working group on health is a network of civics in
> Zim that draws evidence from about 21 districts and that is monitoring
> public spending and performance in health amongst other things and
> linking this to broad based civic advocacy for health.

> 2. the National NGO Food Security Network (FOSENET) has community
> based monitors in all districts of the country monitoring need, supply
> and access to food and linking this with broad based NGO advocacy on
> food security.
Actual reports of the monitoring are available from me upon request.

Does anybody  know if anywhere else where this is being done?

 Whats evident is that beyond 'humanitarian ethics' there is a wider issue
of  justice around food security that is deeply trampled on in relief
situations ... and for which there are significant gaps in international
norms and policies.

 Rene Loewenson