PHA-Exchange> Vote for a 2003 World Brstfdg Week Slogan

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Mon Nov 25 03:37:01 PST 2002

From: "Waba Forum" <wabaforum at pd.jaring.my>

> Dear friends,
>
> Vote for WBW 2003 Slogan! Deadline: 2 December 2002.
>
> Greetings! WABA is pleased to announce that the World Breastfeeding Week
> (WBW) 2003 will focus on breastfeeding and globalisation. Please read
> the outline of the theme carefully. We invite your participation in
> selecting the slogan for the theme. Please let us know which title you
> think best reflect the focus of WBW 2003.
>
> Please prioritise your choice by stating '1' to '4' for these four
> themes ('1' being your first choice). Please email/fax to the WABA
> Secretariat by 2 December 2002.
> (A) Breastfeeding: Just World, Just Health                     [   ]
> (B) Just breastfeeding: Possible in an unjust world?   [   ]
> (C) Breastfeeding: A just world fit for children               [   ]
> (D) Breastfeeding in a Globalised World                        [   ]
>
> Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.
>
> With best wishes from the WABA Secretariat.

> Outline of the theme Breastfeeding and Globalisation
> Breastfeeding in an increasingly globalized world brings together new
> challenges and new opportunities to parents, women's groups, health care
> workers, health care institutions, public health clinics, policy makers
> and those working for justice and a better world.
>
> New Challenges:
> - national legislation to implement the International Code may be
challenged under trade agreements
> - trade agreements and trade blocks may reduce a government's ability to
determine national policies on infant  feeding and the protection of
breastfeeding
> - harmonization of trade rules may require governments to accept infant
formulas and infant food products contrary to  public  health  interests
> - publicly funded breastfeeding promotion programs may be perceived to  be
unfair competition to the infant foods industries
> - a government may not be able to refuse technologies such as genetic
modification of ingredients in infant foods
> - the labeling of infant foods may be determined by Codex outcomes rather
than according to national public health needs and interests
> - UN agencies are increasingly losing independence to develop public
interest programs and policies as they partner with trans global
corporations
> -  Increased privatization of health care systems as for profit systems
with more dependency on pharmaceutical and infant foods industry
sponsorships
> - deregulation of governmental food safety standards, including infant
foods
> - decreased accountability and liability of governments for the public
good
> - increased disparity between rich people and poor people between rich
countries and poor countries

> New Opportunities
> - people's movements to analyze and present directions and action for
more just global relationships
> - increased globalization of breastfeeding movements to address common
problems and issues
> - increased cooperation of public interest non-governmental groups
working towards global understanding and justice
> - New roles and responsibilities for the global breastfeeding community,
for health care workers, for policy makers.

> Examples of the above challenges/opportunities to be more fully
highlighted in the text of the action folder are:
> - Alliance for a Corporate Free UN
> - World Health Assembly outcomes - The Global Strategy for Infant and
Young Child Feeding; the WHA Resolutions on Infant and Young Child
Nutrition
> - ILO - maternity protection
> - The Convention on the Rights of the Child
> - The Millennium Goals
> - The Codex Alimanterius Commission
>
> The action folder will also provide information on the global
> breastfeeding movement -WABA, IBFAN, LLLI, ILCA etc - and actions that
WBW participants can take in your community to "act locally and think
globally"