PHA-Exchange> Bill Gates Foundation donation to India (2)

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Sat Nov 16 20:15:30 PST 2002

From: "Ted Greiner" <ted_greiner at hotmail.com>

 I was at a meeting recently where a senior UNICEF staff member warned that
they and other UN agencies are now being starved of cash because all the big
money goes to private initiatives such as the ones you mention. We must
recognize that this is just one more symptom of the process of neoliberal
globalization rapidly transforming the world as we all sit relatively
helpless and watch. Money and power are draining away from all forms of
public activity, even governments, into private control. Gates and a few
other individuals control more wealth than the Rockefellers and their like
ever dreamed of. Where is it all leading? Is there any way to avoid a
science fiction scenario in which our children live in a world entirely
under the control of a few huge corporations and the few males who run them?

PS: Further evidence of the weakening of the UN, both financially and in
terms of its ability act independently on behalf of the poor is the recent
acceptance of Nestle into
the UN Global Compact and the recent announcement of a partnership between
UNICEF and McDonalds.