PHA-Exchange> Re: Fwd: CC: invitation to join a global action on August 15th in solidarity with the Bhopal survivors

David Werner healthwrights at igc.org
Sat Aug 10 08:49:13 PDT 2002

Hi Molly,

Spending extra time in Glacier Nat Park doesn't sound all that negative!

I will spread the word on Diane's action ref. the Bhopal situation.  She
certainly has balls (so to speak)!

To follow is something even bigger that needs to be protested.

With warmest best wishes,

David

-----------
George Monbiot

Tuesday August 6, 2002

The Guardian

There is something almost comical about the prospect of George Bush waging

war on another nation because that nation has defied international law.

Since Bush came to office, the United States government has torn up more

international treaties and disregarded more UN conventions than the rest of

the world has in 20 years.

It has scuppered the biological weapons convention while experimenting,

illegally, with biological weapons of its own. It has refused to grant

chemical weapons inspectors full access to its laboratories, and has

destroyed attempts to launch chemical inspections in Iraq. It has ripped up

the anti-ballistic missile treaty, and appears to be ready to violate the

nuclear test ban treaty. It has permitted CIA hit squads to recommence

covert operations of the kind that included, in the past, the assassination

of foreign heads of state. It has sabotaged the small arms treaty,

undermined the international criminal court, refused to sign the climate

change protocol and, last month, sought to immobilise the UN convention

against torture so that it could keep foreign observers out of its prison

camp in Guantanamo Bay. Even its preparedness to go to war with Iraq without

a mandate from the UN security council is a defiance of international law

far graver than Saddam Hussein's non-compliance with UN weapons inspectors.

But the US government's declaration of impending war has, in truth, nothing

to do with weapons inspections. On Saturday John Bolton, the US official

charged, hilariously, with "arms control", told the Today programme that

"our policy ... insists on regime change in Baghdad and that policy will not

be altered, whether inspectors go in or not". The US government's

justification for whupping Saddam has now changed twice. At first, Iraq was

named as a potential target because it was "assisting al-Qaida". This turned

out to be untrue. Then the US government claimed that Iraq had to be

attacked because it could be developing weapons of mass destruction, and was

refusing to allow the weapons inspectors to find out if this were so. Now,

as the promised evidence has failed to materialise, the weapons issue has

been dropped. The new reason for war is Saddam Hussein's very existence.

This, at least, has the advantage of being verifiable. It should surely be

obvious by now that the decision to wage war on Iraq came first, and the

justification later.

Other than the age-old issue of oil supply, this is a war without strategic

purpose. The US government is not afraid of Saddam Hussein, however hard it

tries to scare its own people. There is no evidence that Iraq is sponsoring

terrorism against America. Saddam is well aware that if he attacks another

nation with weapons of mass destruction, he can expect to be nuked. He

presents no more of a threat to the world now than he has done for the past

10 years.

But the US government has several pressing domestic reasons for going to

war. The first is that attacking Iraq gives the impression that the flagging

"war on terror" is going somewhere. The second is that the people of all

super-dominant nations love war. As Bush found in Afghanistan, whacking

foreigners wins votes. Allied to this concern is the need to distract

attention from the financial scandals in which both the president and

vice-president are enmeshed. Already, in this respect, the impending war

seems to be working rather well.

The United States also possesses a vast military-industrial complex that is

in constant need of conflict in order to justify its staggeringly expensive

existence. Perhaps more importantly than any of these factors, the hawks who

control the White House perceive that perpetual war results in the perpetual

demand for their services. And there is scarcely a better formula for

perpetual war, with both terrorists and other Arab nations, than the

invasion of Iraq. The hawks know that they will win, whoever loses. In other

words, if the US were not preparing to attack Iraq, it would be preparing to

attack another nation. The US will go to war with that country because it

needs a country with which to go to war.

Tony Blair also has several pressing reasons for supporting an invasion. By

appeasing George Bush, he placates Britain's rightwing press. Standing on

Bush's shoulders, he can assert a claim to global leadership more credible

than that of other European leaders, while defending Britain's anomalous

position as a permanent member of the UN security council. Within Europe,

his relationship with the president grants him the eminent role of broker

and interpreter of power.

By invoking the "special relationship", Blair also avoids the greatest

challenge any prime minister has faced since the second world war. This

challenge is to recognise and act upon the conclusion of any objective

analysis of global power: namely that the greatest threat to world peace is

not Saddam Hussein, but George Bush. The nation that in the past has been

our firmest friend is becoming instead our foremost enemy.

As the US government discovers that it can threaten and attack other nations

with impunity, it will surely soon begin to threaten countries that have

numbered among its allies. As its insatiable demand for resources prompts

ever bolder colonial adventures, it will come to interfere directly with the

strategic interests of other quasi-imperial states. As it refuses to take

responsibility for the consequences of the use of those resources, it

threatens the rest of the world with environmental disaster. It has become

openly contemptuous of other governments and prepared to dispose of any

treaty or agreement that impedes its strategic objectives. It is starting to

construct a new generation of nuclear weapons, and appears to be ready to

use them pre-emptively. It could be about to ignite an inferno in the Middle

East, into which the rest of the world would be sucked.

The United States, in other words, behaves like any other imperial power.

Imperial powers expand their empires until they meet with overwhelming

resistance.

For Britain to abandon the special relationship would be to accept that this

is happening. To accept that the US presents a danger to the rest of the

world would be to acknowledge the need to resist it. Resisting the United

States would be the most daring reversal of policy a British government has

undertaken for over 60 years.

We can resist the US neither by military nor economic means, but we can

resist it diplomatically. The only safe and sensible response to American

power is a policy of non-cooperation. Britain and the rest of Europe should

impede, at the diplomatic level, all US attempts to act unilaterally. We

should launch independent efforts to resolve the Iraq crisis and the

conflict between Israel and Palestine. And we should cross our fingers and

hope that a combination of economic mismanagement, gangster capitalism and

excessive military spending will reduce America's power to the extent that

it ceases to use the rest of the world as its doormat. Only when the US can

accept its role as a nation whose interests must be balanced with those of

all other nations can we resume a friendship that was once, if briefly,

founded upon the principles of justice