PHA-Exchange> Let's get educated about the Monterrey Consensus

aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Wed Apr 10 02:39:30 PDT 2002

A proposition for PHM approval as our group’s position.

Heads of State met in Monterrey, Mexico at the end of March this year.
They discussed how to finance development in the Third World worldwide.
They came out with the ‘Monterrey Consensus’.

Here is what this document says and does not say:

The document is more a ‘declaration of intentions’ than a ‘declaration
of principles or intentions’ advancing some concrete commitments. It
does not provide concrete responses regarding the quantity and quality
of resources that the rich countries are willing to commit to support
development efforts in the poor countries.
The document is rather a consensus among unequal partners. The weaker
partners agree to accept the norms set by the strong who, in turn,
define what good governance (a pre-requisite to join the club) is.
Therefore, the Consensus document rather is an instrument of coersion
around policies set by the rich governments and the IFIs. It
unequivocally favors globalization in which financial capital is to
continue having a controlling role on productive and development
investments.
The document’s motivation is the promotion of longer term development
without paying attention to the many current crises (i.e. aims
expressed in the Consensus are mostly long term, disregarding urgent
measures needed in the short term).
The document thus never arrives at proposing meaningful, needed
transformations of what we already have.  It puts too much emphasis on
de-regulating private capital markets --not proposing any measures
against the well known accompanying risk of speculation. Moreover, it
does not systematically critique the failure of the international
development strategies used so far.
The document recognizes the existence of an enormous deficit in
resources for development financing, but does not offer mechanisms to
mobilize new such resources. It extols the successes of globalization
and ignores the high social costs that have come with it, particularly
in the health field.

There is little evidence in the Consensus that there is a real
commitment by signatory governments to needed structural changes. There
are no mechanisms presented to assure greater accountability and
greater all-inclusive participation of civil society in the decision
making related to development work worldwide.
The documents does not mention the need for the mobilization of local
national) resources for development that is as much a must as the need
for foreign resources; it leaves our own governments off the hook. It
also ignores the issues of foreign debt and the need for poor
governments to also mobilize domestic resources towards more equitable
development alternatives.

The Consensus is further weakened by making no mention of the need to
profoundly reform the global economic governance system.

As PHM, we do not accept the economic model underlying the Consensus,
the conditionalities that it imposes and its foreseeable negative
impacts, including those related to health, education, gender
relations, human rights and many other. We denounce the absence of
language directed at equity, human rights, and sustainable development.
We contend that foreign aid has never been, nor will be, a panacea if
the types of investments to be made are not defined in advance and with
full civil society inputs. (Investments that are against a sustainable
development with a gender perspective also have to be identified and
opposed). On the other hand, we contend that foreign aid has not to be
allowed to denationalize our own Third World economies and has to fully
respect the free movement of labor (and not only capita) across
North/South borders.

Any new consensus has to tackle the issues of fair trade, illegal
capital flight, land reform, access to land, access to health and
education, protection of internal markets and national enterprises, the
penetration of transnational corporations and their dumping of products
(especially agricultural) in our market. The Monterrey Consensus does
not.  International development institutions have to show their
commitment to change in development policies more forcefully and with
facts that point in the right direction. The Monterrey Consensus fails
to do so.

This Consensus basically recommends that the private sector directs and
supervises the development of the nations in the South. It totally
avoids mentioning the issue of rich nations having to devote 0.7% of
their GNP for aid, as well as the issues related to a Tobin tax.  It
tells us nothing how rich countries use their monopoly over and
manipulation of information channels to ‘sell’ us their ideology (with
the passive complicity of all those this information subordinates...).
Instead, the Consensus document continues to tell us that globalization
will bring us universal happiness.
Moreover, there is a veiled warning to be found between the lines:
those who oppose globalization have to be conscious that the rich
countries and IFIs will combat them, even at the expense of further
violations of human rights.

Finally, it is to be pointed out that NGOs in Monterrey at the time
were allowed no access to the official deliberations process, as
opposed to what has become practice in such meetings elsewhere.

Claudio