PHA-Exchange> PHM --WHA Event Gva.- 4th Circular

aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Wed Apr 10 00:05:53 PDT 2002

Dear Friends of WHO/WHA Circle,

This is an informal update in addition to all the mail that has been
circulating.  A final one with an informal registration form will be
sent out on 15th April 2002 with a request for confirmations by 25th
April so that we can tie up the key arrangements.  So any one who has
any information to add or share must do so by 13th April 2002.

1. The WHO / CSI / PHA Technical briefing session on 17th May is now 30
minutes less than earlier informed so we have to be very precise and
well planned.  Perhaps a rehearsal will be in order on 15/16th May.
Pam’s recent letter confirms the participation of Mwajuma, Delen, and
David for the post PHA Savar sharings – 5 minutes each, after the
initial briefing by Zafarullah and myself.  One more can be
accommodated from Europe – Pam, Christine or any one else.  Please
confirm.

2. Eric Ram of NGO Forum has offered one apex  fare each on behalf of
NGO Forum and WCC to sponsor two PHA panelists.  Apart from joining the
technical briefing on 17th May, they will have to also join me on the
14th May at the NGO forum panel on Partnerships in Health which is also
part of WHA 2002.

3. I am making a proactive effort to get WHO-CSI to support travel of
Zafarullah and myself as a commitment to solidarity and joint action.
It may or may not work but its worth the effort.  Margareta has asked
for details.  So it may be  beginning to work. If my fare is covered
then there’s one more fare offer open from the Forum!!

4. Eric / Manoj have been sent a detailed letter and an informal
registration form which will be updated, modified and sent out to
everyone for final confirmation of participation in Geneva events.  It
will be sent out on 15th April with request for returns by 25th April.
It will cover meetings of 14, 16 and 17th May only.

5. All those who need low cost accommodation in Geneva during the week
should contact Ms Bernardita González, Secretary Mandat International
urgently (email: admin at mandint.org). Their address:31,chemin William
Rappard,CH-1293 Bellevue / SUISSE, Tel: 41 22 959 8855 Email:
info at mandint.org.  They will receive your calls from Monday to Friday
from 9AM to 12 AM.  They provide bed and breakfast for as low as 17 CHF
to 22  CHF.  Countries are classified by income levels.  Mandat may
become a temporary PHA community between 12-18th of May.

6. Unni’s media advocacy plan has got general approval and endorsement
and  so he and Satya Sivaraman have begun the process.  He will keep
you  updated when he returns to Bangalore next week.  Many promises for
short pieces for the press briefing are coming in.

7. We are hoping David Sanders, Claudio, Thelma, Bala, Pam and others
will put together a new version of the charter which is interspersed
with events / endorsements / initiatives since PHA-Savar and which can
be a document for briefing advocacy  and circulation. I have sent them
a letter indicating this and included two longer messages from David and
Claudio with further details of possibilities and options. I like
David’s suggestion of endorsements.

8. I wrote to friends of Health at Porto Alegre and IBFAN and have
received endorsement for joint strategy at WHA.  WEMOS/MEDACT/NGO Forum
are already involved.  Any one else to write to, please write and
invite solidarity at WHA.

9. So far the confirmations of presence are as follows: Zafarullah (?),
Ravi, Thelma, Nitesh (12-18th May), Unni and Satya (9th to 19th May),
David Sanders, Mike Rowson, Ellen Verheul, Margaret Reeves, Mwajuma,
Bala, Joel, Prem; Pam, Christine.  Regrets from David Werner, Andy
Rutherford and Claudio.  Have I left anyone out?

10. From 27th April to 10th May, Thelma and I will be in Europe giving
some PHA Advocacy workshops starting from University of Bergen, Norway
(Centre for International Health) on 29th and 30th April and ending
with a meeting in Aachen (Germany) at the Misereor office, with possible
meetings in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Den Haag.  Final
details will be circulated on 15th so that you can all alert PHA
enthusiasts and supporters in these countries.  The Indian books are
now on CDs and getting on a website as well.

11. Finally, as everyone gets into the planning phase, I am off to
National Institute of Epidemiology at Chennai from 7th to 12th April
for teaching a module on an Epidemiology course for district medical
officers and Directorateof Health nominees.  Exploring the Global and
National Peoples Health Charter is one of the exercises and Alma Ata to
PHA 2002 one of the lecture discussions (!)

I shall be back on 12th so don’t panic if there’s a delay in responding
– Arjun and Thelma will do their best in my absence.

12. Just a word of thanks for all the enthusiasm and encouragement
shown to the evolving ideas of WHO-WHA circle.  We are overwhelmed by
the ideas, the anarchy, the spontaneous offers, the voluntarism of it
all.
Long live the PHM.

Best wishes,

Yours sincerely,