PHA-Exchange> Future PHA Structure (2)

Dr Qasem Chowdhury gksavar at citechco.net
Wed Dec 26 12:15:12 PST 2001

Future PHA Structure (2)

from these 93 countries did not always represent or bring with them a
broader consensus from their own region or country.  In some cases there
were individuals representing countries; in others there were NGOs
representing some mobilization in Civil Society; in some countries and
regions there were more collective efforts; like India where there were
very intensive efforts to organize.   All were seeds for the future of the
People's Health Movement.

There is urgent need to continue this process of consensus building, to
strengthen the civil society consensus and endorsement of the People's
Charter for Health in each country, region and globally.

Some key issues in developing and strengthening the People's Health Movement

a)      Developing a core circle of individuals willing to give time to
People's Health Movement
b)      Focusing on Networks / Membership organizations and not just
individuals or NGOs.  We are a movement and not an NGO.
c)      Ensuring as far as possible collective, democratic decision making,
so that all constituents have opportunity to contribute, participate,
suggest and facilitate the work of the People's Health Movement.  The
organizational framework should be circular and not pyramidal.
d)      Respecting the autonomy of each participating network to do other
activities in the People's Health Movement spirit.
e)      Maintaining good communications between circles, countries and
regions through regular email communication, newsletter, website etc.
f)      Producing 'consensus' documentation authored collectively and not
by individuals so that ownership of ideas and perspectives is enhanced and
collectivized.
g)      Strengthening instruments for advocacy
2.      WHERE DO WE WANT TO GET TO BY 2005?
o       To generate credible people-centered alternatives to existing
approaches to health.

o       To enable a movement to advocate for and pressure for health rights.

o       The People's Charter for Health should be a guiding document both
for the People's Health Movement, for a growing number of national
governments (not just Ministries of Health) and parts of the UN
institutions i.e. the WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, UNDP etc.

o       People and their movements to be enabled to popularize and use the
People's Charter for Health and to develop and lobby for local and national
level alternatives.

o       By 2005 the People's Charter for Health should be 'on the table'
and, it and related documents which share positive people-centered
practice, should be seen as credible alternatives.

o       That the movement is recognized as the People's Health Movement as
opposed to the People's Health Assembly

o       For the People's Health Movement to take root so that international
bodies such as the WHO, WTO, UNICEF, World Bank, listen to the People's
Health Movement.
This could be achieved by;
-       the weight of the presentation of our strategies for alternatives
and exposing the gap between rhetoric and reality.
-       collective pressure
-       the perceived weight and presence of the People's Health Movement

o       Development of specific strategies and actions with respect to
national governments.  These would be focused on national level health and
related policies and practices and on highlighting the current and
potential role of national government on international bodies such as the
WHO, WTO and World Bank. The People's Health Movement should contribute to
the demystification of the WHO and World Bank etc. and demand
national-level accountability.

o       We will have developed documents that present key principles and
people-centered and community based practices.

o       To have held a series of Regional People's Health Movement Circle
assemblies during 2003-2004

o       We will decide if a second People's Health Assembly, PHA2, will
take place.  If there is a positive decision, we will also decide when and
where. By January 2005 we will have reviewed the People's Charter for Health.

People's
Web

Towards Structures
for
A People's Health Movement

Agreed
December 2001

TOWARDS FACILITATING STRUCTURES FOR A
PEOPLE'S HEALTH MOVEMENT

Principles
o       Develop a feeling of belonging to a movement for change.

o       Inclusive.  We will enable people and organisations with different
and diverse backgrounds to be part of the PHM.  However we will ensure that
a pro-people orientation remains fundamental. (This will sometimes require
positive action i.e. for people with disabilities)

o       Transparent, democratic and open

o       Representative of       -    South/North
-       Genders
-       Ethnicity/Race
-       Emailing and without access to email
-       Different languages as possible
-       Ages/Generations - especially young and older people
o       We need to celebrate diversity and encourage and recognize that
there are multiple solutions.

o       We recognize that Women's access to health often is still unequal
and inappropriate and that this needs to be challenged and changed.

o       Linking with networks and movements, being complimentary to the
work of others and providing a space for others. The PHM places importance
on membership organisations, networks and movements with democratic
decision making processes. This is key.

o       Work based and building on the People's Charter for Health.  This
is our fundamental common ground.

o       Build on collective energies and actions

o       Each country in their own way

Assumptions
1.      There is a need for a global structure and that this has to be
founded, informed and inspired by people's experiences, strategies and visions.

2.      The base should be geographical, building on our strengths. The
regions of the world should suit us.

3.      Our structure should bring together organizations and movements and
facilitate exchanges of experiences, information, strategies and actions
between them.

4.      The focus is not on decision making though this is of course needed

5.      The type of organizational structure most appropriate to the
development and strengthening of the People's Health Movement is not
pyramid shaped but circular.