PHA-Exchange> Futurer PHA Structure

Dr Qasem Chowdhury gksavar at citechco.net
Wed Dec 26 12:14:06 PST 2001

Future PHA Structure (1)

PHA Secretariat, Savar
December 3rd 2001

Dear Friends of the People's Health Movement

We are very pleased to be able to share with you the agreed plan to enable
the development and strengthening of the People's Health Movement. We
believe that it provides the foundation for our People's Health Movement.

The proposals that were developed at a meeting in Savar in October have now
benefited from wide consultation receiving many comments.  We have received
many important contributions and wherever possible these have been
incorporated.  We are very happy to say that all the comments we received
were very positive about the new structure and comments focused on
clarifying and strengthening the new structure.  Many people went on to
suggest where and how they wanted to be involved and how to enable more
people to be involved. The positive responses have been very inspiring.

Summary of the proposal

The structure will enable places and spaces for all who wish to be part of
the People's Health Movement.  At the same time we believe that this will
enable the People's Health Movement to be inclusive and transparent,
democratic and open.  In summary, the proposal is to develop a series of
linked circles.  These will be of two types.  First, Geographical Circles
at national, regional and international levels.  Second, Working Circles
for areas of work and activity of the People's Health Movement. These could
range from policy and lobbying issues such as one bringing people and their
organizations together to work on issues and lobbying related to PRSPs or
Rational Drugs to the work of the movement through Publications or Popular
Communications.  The circles and how they link are outlined in detail below.

Background

A year ago nearly 1,500 people from 93 countries came together in the
Gonoshasthaya Kendra center at Savar to celebrate the first People's Health
Assembly (PHA2000). This historic event was the result of a worldwide
pre-assembly process involving tens of thousands of people.  Why?

In 1978 representatives of the world's governments committed themselves to
Health for All by the year 2000.  The year 2000 came and the enormous
distance that millions of women, men and children were away from that right
was a terrible indictment of governments and international
institutions.  It was, and is, also a clear and tragic expression of the
unjust and unequal world that we live in today. The people and their
organizations across the world that are building a People's Health Movement
believe that this must change and that we must enable a movement to
advocate for and pressure for health rights and generate credible
people-centered alternatives to existing approaches to health.

Here we share with you: -
1.      The new structure for the People's Health Movement
2.      The timetable for the taking forward of the new structure

We believe that this new structure is crucial as we move towards developing
a vibrant People's Health Movement. You are part of this movement and
believe that the new structure will give a space and place for you and more
people and their organizations to join together in the People's Health
Movement.

Thank you

Yours sincerely

Dr. Qasem Chowdhury
PHA Co-ordinator

1.      THE CONTEXT FOR OUR PROPOSALS

BUILDING OF PHA2000

The People's Charter for Health
The People's Charter for Health that emerged at the end of the Peoples
Health Assembly 2000 (PHA2000) at Gonoshasthaya Kendra, Savar, Bangladesh
on 8th December 2000 is an important landmark, perhaps as significant as
the Alma Ata Declaration. It is now an important instrument for advocating
the Health for All - goal. Its significance has at least three if not more
components:

Firstly, it arose out of a mobilization and preparatory process for the
PHA2000which took place all over the world  culminating as a document that
was ratified by nearly 1,500 members of Civil Society from 93
countries.  It therefore represents the largest consensus document on the
current health situation and the challenges.

Secondly, it provides both an analysis of problems and causes as well as
'perspectives for action'.  Health is not just bio-medical but has an
economic, political, socio-cultural and environmental dimension as well. It
highlights the point that Health Action must involve action at all these
levels so that the deeper determinants of health are tackled. It also
challenges the vertical, top-down, market economy determined, programmes of
'magic bullet' prescriptions as not being representative of comprehensive
primary health care approach which was at the core of the means to achieve
the Health for All goal.

Thirdly, the charter also emphasizes in a more indirect way that the
mainstream of health  including health ministries and health departments of
national governments, international agencies like WHO, UNICEF, World Bank
and the corporates have conveniently largely ignored the Health for All
goal and sidelined it.

Challenging the mainstream
The challenge for the Post  PHA2000 initiatives is therefore to bring back
the People's Charter for Health into the mainstream of health action.  This
can be done by advocating it in a strategy that challenges the mainstream
to respond to it and integrate it within their evolving agenda.  So,
advocating the People's Charter for Health actively, consistently,
collectively in as many forums, meetings, workshops and also institutions,
networks, at local, state, national regional and international levels
should therefore be a primary concern till we get it into mainstream
thinking on health.

PREPARATORY PHASE, WHICH WE ARE IN AT PRESENT

Building collective consensus
Building further collective consensus on People's Charter for Health within
Civil Society should continue to be the first step in every country and
region. The pre-PHA2000 mobilization phase took shape in different ways and
at with different levels of intensity in different regions, and countries
of the world.  Though 93 countries finally participated at the event, the
participants