PHA-Exchange> on poverty 4 : a reaction

aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Tue Dec 4 08:17:50 PST 2001

Dear all,
When I read this mail I thaught I had to shear one thing with you.
Last year, we published a report on Poverty and Tobacco. The report`s
name is Hungry for Tobacco.  According to the report a reduction in
tobacco consumption in Bangladesh would lead to several significant
gains as people switch from purchasing tobacco to other goods.  If
tobacco were no longer consumed in Bangladesh, the following economic
gains would be anticipated:

¨ Savings in foreign exchange for import of tobacco of over $14 million
US per year.
¨ A net increase in employment of almost 19%.
¨ Large increases in household investment in housing, education, and
health care.
¨ 10.5 million fewer people going hungry.
¨ 350 fewer deaths from malnutrition of children under age 5 each day.
This report is good information for developing country workers. To see
the report (Hungry for Tobacco) Please visit our web site.
wbb at globalink.org.
With best wishes
Tahin
Work For A Better Bangladesh