PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS important] Where is PHM at PMAC 2024 ?

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Jan 21 00:00:22 PST 2024

Where is PHM at PMAC 2024 ? (Prince Mahidol conference in Bangkok)

PMAC has, for many years, created the platform for critical perspectives
and voices from the Global
South, including PHM, and that this has been unique and highly valued by
many people working in
global health.
Since the first PMAC the People’s Health Movement (PHM) has brought a
cutting-edge civil society
voice to PMAC. We have been active on its International Organising Committee
(IOC), and as such assisted in developing the concept notes and conference
sessions; been co-Chair
of that group and have been invited to the PMAC every year since 2007. We
were initially on the IOC
for PMAC 2024, and given the topic contributed significantly to both the
concept note and many
sessions.

So why isn’t PHM here in 2024?

PMAC told us that we were no longer welcome at the IOC or at the conference.
The reason: We objected to the involvement of fossil fuel corporations at
PMAC 2023 and through
an article in the BMJ (The dangers of “health washing” the fossil fuel
industry (bmj.com))
We find this decision perplexing, sad and deeply worrying. Critical
perspectives on the state of global
health are needed more than ever, and the exclusion of the BMJ and PHM is
indicative of
inappropriate and unhealthy censorship.

How PMAC 2024 misses out

PHM is a large global network of health activists, professionals, academics
and organisations with a
presence in more than eighty countries, most of which are low and middle
income countries.
Discussions at PMAC 2024 will be noticeably less inclusive and less rich
without PHM’s voice.
PHM 5th People’s Health Assembly
We invite you to join PHM at the 5th People’s Health Assembly taking place
in Mar del Plata,
Argentina from the 7th-11th April 2024. Geo-politics and their implications
for health will be at the
forefront of discussions and it is guaranteed to be a corporate-free space.
Details at PHA 5 |People’s
Health Movement (phmovement.org) Or google ‘People’s Health Movement PHA5’.

*People's Health Movement (PHM)*
X (Twitter): @PHMglobal
Instagram: @globalphm
Facebook: @peopleshealthmovement