PHM-Exch> Addressing Visa and Passport Inequities in Global Health

Dian Maria Blandina d.m.blandina at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 09:51:44 PDT 2023

Hi everyone,

I hope this email finds you well. I'd like to draw your attention to a
recently released commentary aiming to address a critical issue in global
health, yet rarely acknowledged: *visa and passport inequities*. In this
commentary, I and a few other young global health practitioners and
academics all around the world try to bring forward this deeply
personal yet universally relatable issue.

You can access the *full commentary and associated articles here
<https://journals.plos.org/globalpublichealth/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgph.0002310#sec001>*
.

Personally, I've dealt with visa challenges for over 20 years, and at
first, I thought it was just something I had to deal with. However, being
involved with the Watch for the past three years has shown me how
significant this issue is. During our advocacy efforts in Geneva, we came
across stories of people being denied visas and facing obstacles to
participating, not only from young individuals, but also from established,
"higher up" individuals.  The problem only worsens post-covid and with the
rise of right-wing politics. There is an urgency to acknowledge and address
this problem.

Passport privilege and visa restrictions are intricately woven into the
fabric of historical and postcolonial structures and narratives. This
complex issue affects not just travel logistics but, more significantly,
the very practice of global health. Many Global South experts and young
professionals are sidelined from participating in global health initiatives
due to these barriers, leaving a void in our collective pursuit of health
equity.

These barriers perpetuate exclusion and thwart the goal of 'health for
all.' Meaningful advancements in global health policymaking cannot be
achieved if we are excluded from being in the room solely based on where we
were born.

I urge your support to drive change, dismantle discriminatory systems, and
ensure equal access to global health opportunities. Please share this
commentary to your institutions, organizations, family, and friends.
Together, we can make a transformative impact.

Warmest regards,
Dian